couple do-it-yourself maintenance questions 1992 ES300

Hello.

(1) I bought a new air filter but I can't easily get the air filter cover off to replace it. It looks like I need to disassemble the thing that goes from the air filter to the engine intake. But when I go to Oil Changers the guy seems to take the air filter out and show it to me every goddam time without any problem at all. What't the trick?

(2) Also, I have high mileage and was wondering what it takes to change the oil in the auto transmission. Is there a filter to go along with the oil, or is it just oil?

(3) Oh one more thing. If I just want to speed up the idle a bit how can I do that?

Are there any online resources for instructions on how to do this kind of stuff?

Thanks.

CB

Reply to
RR

I have a '99 ES but it might be similar to your '92. The air filter housing is pretty tight, but I can manage to wiggle the cover enough to get the filter in and out without having to disassemble any other parts. Just try nudging it around to see if it will give.

Regarding the transmission fluid, first, has the fluid been changed before? You want to make sure the fluid still looks good before changing it, because if the fluid is already really dirty, changing it may cause problems. The best method to change the fluid is having it flushed with a flushing machine. If you want to DIY, then you can remove the transmission cooling line to the radiator (if you want more details, e-mail me). Otherwise, you can do a basic "drop the pan" procedure, but that doesn't get a lot of the fluid out.

If yours has a filter, then the filter should be changed. If yours only has a screen, then unless the screen is damaged, you can just keep using it.

The idle speed is computer controlled, so I don't think you can adjust it. If you're having a problem with idle speed, then something else may be causing it.

You may want to consider getting a service manual, a DIY manual (like Haynes or Chilton) or access to something like

Djsmak1225

Four snap clips hold the air filter assembly. Ones you move the four clips, pry (might require some force) on the top cover. Cover will move slightly out of the way, then you can remove air filter element.

I have been changing auto transmission fluid at 50K mile intervals. I now have 200K miles on my 92 ES300 with no transmission problems. Just remove plug on transmission pan and let the fluid drain. Approximately

3 1/2 to 4 quarts are drain. Replace fluid. (that's all I do). Dealer ones told me there is no filter !!

Can't change idle (leave it al> Hello.

Reply to
Mike

This is Turtle.

Like Djsmak1225 said a Chilton car Manual guide is in order here and Anything you want to do. it tells you in writting and picture to ade you. I think they are about $12.00 to $15.00 and if you don't have $15.00 bucks. Go down to your local Library and they usely have all the Chilton manual for you to check out and use. If they don't have it they can get it for you from the State capital library for you to use. My Local Library has Chilton and Haynes both for you to use. There is about 70 different books and there is a book for every year with the same style and model when they change a little stuff on the style , they write a new book for those years.

It also has a maintainance schuale for you to keep up with what to change and how may mile and months before you should change different items.

You said changing transmission fluids. they have a section on the correct proceedure for doing this and picture to ade you. It has also the brake shoe changing, oil change, tire rotation, Water pump change, belt change, Air filter change, Change rear end fluid , and just about everything you want to do.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I think I may do that. I remember from months ago somthing about there being a Camry book but not a Lexus book. Is that true? Do I need to get a Camry book and hope for the best?

Reply to
RR

At least for 1999 generation, I know the Hayne's manual covers both the V6 Camry and V6 ES300.

-

-- snipped-for-privacy@akaMail.com Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

This is Turtle.

You tell them what model and year auto you have and they get you a BOOK just for that model and years without any changes in it. There is 2 books for the LS-400

1990 to 1994 then from 1995 to 2000 and 1 book for the LS-430 from 2001 to 2004. Now they may have the 05 out on it but you may have to check. There is a book that covers every model of auto's made. If they don't have it, they will order it for you. Auto Zone , Nappa , O'reilly's, and Pep Boy all sell them.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

I have a Lexus Book for the years 1990 to 1994 and they have LEXUS books for other years at the auto parts houses. I don't know if they have the 05 Lexus books out yet but they do have the 04 out for sure.

I picked one up to look at it at Nappa Auto parts house about a week ago for the

1995 to 2000 years. They have them.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hey Turtle,

As far as the 1990-1994 Lexus book, do you have Haynes or Chilton, or some other publisher?

Also, in general, which one do you prefer?

Reply to
RR

This is Turtle.

The Chilton is wrote for PHD types and the Haynes is wrote for dumb asses like me.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE