Battery Drain when not being used (GS-300)

What is the normal background battery drain when a Lexus (eg. 2006 GS-300) is not being used (parked, doors locked, etc.)?

I am having trouble with my battery being flat (or almost flat) after sitting for a day or two -- not enough juice to recognize the electronic key and start the car. Car and battery are only 2-1/2 years old, so I doubt that the battery is that bad.

Also, voltage is 14 when the engine is running, so the alternator seems OK.

Any ideas as to what might be causing an abnormal drain when parked?

Reply to
Jay Somerset

Check for corrosion buildup around the battery terminals, check to make sure that the battery cables are tight.

I'm not sure what the normal parasitic draw is for your vehicle, but the battery should hold a charge for a couple of days without any problems.

A common source of higher-than-normal parasitic draw is aftermarket components, like remote start or security systems.

Aftermarket audio systems that draw a lot of power and prevent the battery from being fully charged when the engine is running and also cause problems, as will short trips at idle where the battery doesn't get a chance to get fully charged.

Another possibility is that the battery is bad.

Reply to
Ray O