stuck in park....is there a fix?

I have a LS400 with 230K miles. When I tried to put in drive this morning I could not move it from park. its stuck in Park. Do you have any ideas for a fix for this you could pass on? thank you

Reply to
Trs80

The car must know that your brake pedal is depressed in order for the transmission interlock to release. There is a small switch on the brake pedal for that purpose. That switch may be broken.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

As Elmo Shag pointed out, the brake light switch mounted above the brake pedal releases the shift lock solenoid, which is what keeps the shifter from moving out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed.

On the shift console near the shifter lever is a small rectangular cover. Carefully pry the cover off with a screwdriver and insert the screwdriver or another key while depressing the brake pedal and moving the shifter lever.

Check to make sure that the brake lights come on when you apply the brakes. If the lights do not come on, the brake light switch may be out of adjustment or bad.

Reply to
Ray O

My GUESS also ... had the problem exactly a year ago 1990 LS400 ~220K. Cruise control will also not disenage when brake is pressed. No brake lights is certainly your bigest clue!

Could also be a brake light switch.

Reply to
Jerohm