Certified Lexus pre-owned

Just bought 2003 Lexus 430LS. Bought car from indy dealership, 61k. Signed up on Lexus website and got history on this vehicle. From carfax report and Lexus website looks like car was bought in Oct. 2002 and returned to dealer in Aug. 2005 at 53K. Dealer performed certified service at that time. What does certified service include? Car was at dealership from Aug. 2005 till Mar. 2008 when it was sold to Indy dealership. This car is flawless but I was wondering if I have any warranty left on this vehicle. I have the CPO paperwork in the glovebox. Would I at least get the factory warranty of 72 months or 70k.

Reply to
Bilyzoom

It's got 3 years or 100K total vehicle miles. So you basically have a

3yr/47K miles warranty. It extends beyond the original warranty because it's CPO. Front your ownership's standpoint it's not as long as the original warranty but otherwise similar. It is a *marketing tool* originally devised by European makers to move cars that have come off leases.

Reply to
johngdole

I wouldn't assume any warrany at all on a car that was bought at an independent dealer. I seem to recall Lexus' advertising saying that Lexus CPO is available only from your Lexus dealer.

Reply to
DaveW

Sure, "indy" as either "Indianapolis" or "independent" would be different. And how does an independent non-lexus dealer certify a Lexus used car as the message title claimed?

Reply to
johngdole

I suspect there is some missing info in the car history cited by OP. Probably the car was sold by dealer in 2005 as a CPO car. That owner may not have used Lexus for service during the mileage increase from 53K to 61K miles, therefore no updated history in Lexus records. The car ended up at independent dealer OP mentions. When independent dealer sold car the CPO paperwork was still in glove box. No dealer is going to keep a car "at dealership from Aug 2005 till March 2008 when it was sold to Indy dealership".

In any event, I suspect the CPO warranty is not 'pass through' to future owners-- just valid for purchaser who buys it from Lexus dealer.

Reply to
Xplant

Vehicle was leased in Oct. 2002. Turned in at 53k in 10/05. Vehicle was CPO'd at that time. Vehicle stayed at dealer untill put on consignment with independent dealer in 3/08 at 61k. I purchased vehicle in 4/08 with 61k. Information gathered from carfax report and Lexus website.

Reply to
Bilyzoom

Indy is a great American motor city with the famous Indianapolis Raceway.

So where are you from? Japan? I hope you have enough rice to eat.

Reply to
johngdole

Actually, I'm a New Yorker, born and raised, and I still live here.

I'm not sure why you'd assume someone who's happy with their Lexus would be a rice-eating Japanese person. Care to explain?

Reply to
DaveW