Dummy post re: ES300

Hi everyone, my wife and I will be taking ownership of a 2001 ES300 later this week. It currently has only 7,500 miles on it so it looks and drives like new. I've tried sifting through a number of the posts here but haven't found anything to be concerned about. I figured I'd just go ahead and ask, is there anything I should look for or be concerned with in this vehicle? Any problems that arise after say 20,000 miles that I may be able to take care of now? Any former or current owners of this model have anything good or bad to say? TIA!

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

I have a '98 ES and my wife has an'02 ES.

My 98 is virtually the same as the '01 you're getting. I've had the 98 now for almost 8 years. It is an excellent car. You will love it. There are no major concerns that I'm aware of. (Some may mention the oil-gelling, but that was a lack-of-maintenance issue - not the model, itself). I hate the '02 (trans shifting thing) but love the 98.

I might mention here that my 98 was broken into two weeks ago. It is EXTREMELY easy to break into the car, and disable the alarm. (I won't publish that here.) It was clear that the perps were looking for my valet key. They wanted to drive it away. They didn't even touch $$, radar detector, etc.

I know many people who leave valet keys in their glove box or console. DO NOT leave your valet key in a 97-01 ES !!

Reply to
njbok

njbok How many miles on your ES?

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

105 K Henry.........
Reply to
njbok

Not to knock the '02 and later models but looks-wise I think I prefer the '97-'01 anyhow. Thanks for the info on your experience and thanks for the info on the theft. I guess an auto starter won't be too wise since they usually put the valet key near the ignition.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Well, I finally got my 2001 ES300. It took long enough but we picked it up on Wednesday. What a smooth ride but it will take some getting used to after over ten years in Ford Explorers. Other than size it's only shortcomings are power and braking. I expected it to be slower than my V8 Explorer (maybe not this much) so no big deal but the brakes on this thing are so vague and require much more effort. We love it so far and with only

7,500 miles on the clock we'll have a long time to get used to it. my question is this, has anyone else felt the brakes on these cars are a weakness? Am I expecting too much from them or could the fact that the car simply hasn't been driven much in the past four years contributing to the vagueness? Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Reply to
Jim Tiberio