Engine Heat

I notice that my 2000 ES 300 ignition key is hot after a long drive. Never had this issue with my 1988 Camry. Is this normal?

I also compared the hot hood regions after the same long drive (25 miles at 75 mph), and here's what I found: (sorry, no high-tech thermal imaging pictures available)

1988 V6 Camry - hottest hood region after a long drive is the area between the 2 windshield washer jets. Region is hot but not too hot to keep your hand on it.

2000 ES 300 - hottest region is the area of the hood right above the coolant reservoir. (above front passenger wheel) Region is so hot that you can't keep your hand on it, even for a while! I wonder how long the paint on the hood in this region will last.

Reply to
Iona Camry

There is tremendous heat from my engine compartment (relatively speaking) even after shorts trips. The temp gauge never exceeds mid-point however.

I don't think I ever noticed my KEY getting hot however!

Reply to
Jerohm