Explaining the Toyota floor mat recall

"So, what is it about these floormats that¹s causing the problem? Basically, any automaker¹s floormats can slide forward if they¹re not attached to a hook that keeps them in place. However, the Lexus and Toyota models in question include a hook that can be detached from the carpet, meaning there are two ways for the floormat to become dislodged. According to Hanson, the design stems from the fact that floormats are an option across the Toyota lineup, and someone buying a car without them wouldn¹t want a fixed stem protruding from the carpet."

If you look at the picture on the web site, then go look at your own floor mats, you'll see the issue.

I can see it now: Toyota lawyers will design the fix such that the floor mats are hooked to the seat frame in some fashion--which fixes the complaint that hooks stick up from the floor itself--along with an electrical wire which will break if the physical connection fails and the mat moves. When the wire breaks, it will either light up a "floor mat" light on the dash, or--more likely, given Toyota's nanny-state lawyers--prevent the car from starting. They'll just light up the light and hook it all into the same security ignition key system that's already in the cars today, the car won't start until the wire's fixed, and Bob's your uncle.

Sure, it's easy enough to short out that system and make it work no matter what. But the owner would have taken active steps to do that, and Toyota is off the hook (pun intended).

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Both our RAV4 and Highlander have the optional (hooked) floor mats as did our 2005 Avalon. We, as a matter of course because of the snow/mud around here, always throw after market mats on top. They have no hooks but "lugs/spikes" on backing. Yes they sort of float and a time or two a month need a 5 second repositioning. The Avalons (3 ) we had never had a problem with the optional (hooked) floor mat moving.

Ron in Idaho

Reply to
ron

Some of the REALLY stupid parts of this is the guy who died and killed his family was supposedly a cop. Even I, not a cop, know if your car's a runaway, shut it off. If that doesn't work, neutral only blows up the motor.

Secondly, just because some dumbass used a hair dryer in a shower we have warnings on hair driers. Now warnings on floor mats. Hell, you can't even set a new nav route in a toyota these days if the car is moving. It's smart enough to tell if there is no one or a kid in the passenger seat, can't it tell if there is for the nav?

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore
Reply to
lexuspartsdept

Doesn't explain single mat incidents involving failure of retainer pins or failure to secure the mat on the pins, which happens all the time at commercial car washes.

Reply to
Not Me

There is a workaround for the navigation issue. I've done it and it works fine. See: "

". Kind of a pain to have to do the secret sequence every time you start the car, but it's very fast once you know how to do it.

They neglect to tell you that you need to disconnect power from the navigation system (yank the fuse) for a minute so it will reset and reboot from the new DVD.

Reply to
SMS

There's also a way to bypass the speed sensor for _only_ the sound portion so you can change tunes and dial via bluetooth.

This is one of the most moronic things Toyota's ever done. The LEAST they could do is turn off the block if someone's sitting in the passenger seat or allow a "I'm old enough to decide on my own so stfu" button.

Seems rather silly to cause someone to want to pick up their phone/blackberry and dial rather than pick a number from a list on the nav screen.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Thank goodness I bought the standard Prius model!! My handheld GPS works just fine and doesnt cost an arm or leg to update either..

Reply to
Lu R

The easiest way to place a call from the 2010 equipped with the navigation system is by voice command when a Bluetooth command phone is connected.

Reply to
Al Falfa

Or add it to one of the 18 Speed Dial numbers.

Reply to
Mr. G