s420 floor mat SOLUTION

Those nice carpet floor mats that came in my 1999 s420 were getting to be a pain as after a while they start to bunch up and they just won't act right.

I was exploring some way to stick them down, but every method I considered would most likely make a mess of the carpet underneath.

So...

At the office supply store I bought the cheapest chair runner I could find ($15). This is the kind that is a clear plastic material with little hobbnails to grip the carpet underneath your office chair. Cheaper is BETTER as they are not too thick (cut with regular sissors) and they bend very easily.

I cut the pieces to size (easy to trace because chair runner is clear) and used contact cement to glue 'em directly to the underside of floor mat carpet.

Terrific! The floor mats no longer bunch up or creep...and... if you spill stuff on them it doesn't go through to the real carpet...and ... contact cement is waterproof so you can wash your mats as often as you like.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

KM/Nashville

Reply to
Kenny Mims

Hernando Correa

Great solution. Thanks for the idea!

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Damn...I am about to jerk a kink on my arm pattin' myself on the back. I took my mats up the the spray car wash and really gave 'em a workout.

Glue holds up great.

Mats are prestine!

Even a blind pig can find a acorn every once in a while!

km

Reply to
Kenny Mims

YEHAAA !!!!! Finaly a solution to this little "extra" from those great engineers in ... well ... wherever. Finaly a way to fix a car that costs at least $80,000 - el cheapo plastic floor runner. Hmm... wonder how much ole Jerkin Shrimp could sell that for?

mcbrue buncheduply under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Kenny, I think ya shudda gotta patent! if ya cudda......... great solution!

Reply to
r parris