Fuel type for GS 300?

I believe the manufacturer recommends 91 octane.

Reply to
Dave Stone

I read in one article that the '94 GS 300 requires Premium fuel but all the review I've read don't mention anything like that (they only say unleaded). Is it only premium or can I use regular unleaded?

Reply to
VM

If your car has a knock sensor it will retard the timing if it detects pinging. You won't have any damage but performance and mileage will suffer.

If your model does not have a knock sensor you WILL do damage over time as a result of the pinging.

Reply to
Cary Scheck

Thanks for the reply. Even if the manufacturer recommends premium, will regular gas affect the performance of the car, or can it be more serious?

Reply to
VM

Thanks for the info. How can I know if it has a knock sensor? I know nothing about cars, so would it be part (if it IS a part) that's easily visible or would I need to know something about cars to find out?

Reply to
VM

All modern cars have knock sensors that will adapt your engine to whatever octane rated gas you use, at least for the octane range sold in USA. The sensor will retard your timing slightly and, as a consequence, slightly reduce your horsepower. I doubt you'll be able to notice the performance difference.

It also might reduce our gas mileage slightly. But given the 20-cent per gallon price premium for premium gas in my area, the trade-off is probably worth it.

I've run regular in a 91-octane recommended Toyota for years with no noticeable loss in performance or mileage. Occasionally, I've alternated gas and couldn't tell the difference.

Reply to
L Cramer

That's good to know. Here (Puerto Rico) gas is at $0.459 per liter while premium is at over $0.53. I was worried that the car wouldn't run on the cheap gas or that it would do some considerable damage. Thanks again.

Reply to
VM