Correct Fuel for Imported Jeep

I have just aquired a 1996 Jeep Cherokee which was an import from Dubai. The petrol cap is labelled as use ( LEADED LRP). Does that mean I can only use leaded fuel or can I use super unleaded fuel (RON 97).

Sam

Reply to
Samuel Appiah

Samuel Appiah did pass the time by typing:

LRP == Lead Replacement Petrol

For a 96 I don't see why it couldn't run on unleaded with Octane ratings of 89-92

If you don't have enough Octane the engine will ping a bit under load, if you have too much the performance will take a hit.

This explains it a bit better.

What engine do you have?

Reply to
DougW

I can see no reason you couldn't run it with Regular Unleaded. There is no reason to use Premium (high octane) fuel.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The main reason a vehicle can use Unleaded fuel is because it has hardened valve seats. I can't see Jeep making two cylinder heads - yours probably has them.

Dave Milne