Funny problem w/ my 1998 gs 300

Let me just come out with it...

If I'm driving at 75MPH or more, the car gives a "jerky" feeling every

5 minutes or so. This is the case even if I set the cruise control. For a split second the car "jerks" like it falls back just a little bit or "slips"

I've been using 89/87 octane gas for years on the car and it is grossly in need of a tune up. the car has 108k mi on it

Does this sound like a serious problem? Will the car break down on me?

Any Helpful replies are appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
handogg

I think that if the condition were an engine problem like an ignition miss, you would get a check engine light. It is possible that the transmission is slipping.

Reply to
Ray O

That sounds like the case to me. Is this something that will develop into a serious problem? What do you recommend? Would fluid replacement do the trick? Thanks again for your continued help Ray!!

Reply to
handogg

Sorry,

I don't remember what the original symptoms are :-(

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry,

I don't remember what the original symptoms are :-(

The transmission slips at 75mph every 5 min or so....

Reply to
handogg

If the transmission fluid has never been replaced, it wouldn't hurt to do so, especially if it is brown or smells burnt. If the transmission fluid is dirty, it is possible that the transmission is slipping.

By any chance, do you brake with your left foot? Activating the brake light will unlock the torque converter.

How many miles on the car?

Reply to
Ray O