Info on Lexus Car on E-Bay.

This is Turtle.

I went to the Auto Dealer Auction in Dallas , Texas Friday to pick up a Lexus LS-400 I bought there and got to talking to a bunch of Auto Rebuilders about selling on E-Bay. They would only rebuild Lexus, BMW, and Mer-side-eye-bends. Just about every car they move is sold on E-Bay because of the good price they bring there. The 3 of them move over 30 cars a month on E-Bay and they are from Austin, Dallas, and Grand Prairie -- all of Texas.

So What I'm getting at here is a bunch of these cars are rebuilt that sell there and you need to watch out about paying top dollar for rebuilt cars. I bought a Lexus for $8.6K there at the dealers auction and it would sell for $12K to $18K on E-bay. They just buy it for $8.6K at the auction and E-Bay it for $12K+ . There was one of these dealer that was picking up a 99 Lexus LS-400 Dark Blue that was killed [ the wreck knock the motor out of the car ] but still had a clear title and he was going rebuild it and sell it on E-Bay as never been wrecked and has a clear title and No Reconstuction or Salvage title.

So Watch out here.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Yessss--I am constantly looking at used ES 300's on eBay, and a huge percentage of them are from locations in Texas. I was starting to think that there was something fishy going on. You confirmed it.

Reply to
Pud Knocker

Can't this be reported to some sort of authority in Texas? Oh wait - Texas is that way. The authorities are probably all on military duty in Alabama and are who knows where. So maybe some Federal authorities? Or maybe eBay itself?

Reply to
MCBRUE

As far as I know, every Lexus has a non-removable VIN sticker on every major body panel. When you buy one, simply compare numbers and you'll know whether it's hacked together or not... /m

Reply to
M.

This is Turtle.

Very few states are tuff on putting Reconstruction title to a car because if they did it to all the cars. It would cut the price the insurance company would get for the cars and would amount to about a 20% cut in the price they would get for it at the Auto Dealer Auctions. You can take two car exactly the same and put a clear title on one and a Reconstruction title on the other. Clear title would say go for $10K but the Recontruction Title would be hard pressed to get $8K for it. The American Dealer will want the Clear title and leave the recontruction title car alone and let it go to the Mexican dealer to take back to Mexico to resell. In Mexico they don't care about this title business at all and sell the fire out of them.

If it was not for the insurance company loosing money on these cars. They would all have recontruction or Salvage titles on them.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

What you say is very much true but buying on E-Bay it is hard to see the body part numbers from the pictures by way of the internet.

Also if the numbers of the body parts are different it could be the parts were replace for a minor wreck or damage like a belt buckel rubbing on the fender when working on it and the customer wants a new fender when getting it repaired. It's just hard to tell about just a few body part numbers.

Also 2% of all autos have some minor repair or some body repair done on brand new auto that come off the assembley line. 2% is a very large number of autos that could have a different body part number on them. Looking at these numbers is a very good thing to see about but it does have flaws sometimes.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE