iPod Power

I just got into a Lexus IS 250 at the end of February and love just about everything about it except to aspects of the power outlet in the arm rest.

  1. Its too shallow in the box so nothing I have will plug into it while the armrest is closed.

  1. If I do get my ipod plugged into either of the outlets, all I get is an enormous amount of electrical noise. It is impossible to play the ipod while it is plugged into the power. What gives !?!

Has anyone else experienced this ? Any work arounds ? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
david

You need to purchase a ground loop isolator to get rid of the feedback/ hum on the aux-in port when using power from the 12v accessory (cigarette lighter) outlet.

Reply to
mrv

Thanks for the quick info!

I guess if I was designing a luxury automobile with the otherwise nice feature of power and audio jack co-located in the arm rest, I would have thought somebody might try to power a device that was plugged into the audio jack and included such an isolater in the car. I guess that's just my odd way of thinking about things ;-p ?

A suggestion to the otherwise gifted designers at Lexus would be to put the power outlet deeper in the arm rest (so the lid will close with the average adapter plugged into it) AND add an isolator to the circuit. Surprise! Somebody is going to think to power and audio device with this outlet.

Again, thanks for the quick info !

Reply to
david

The original post is unclear (at least to me). I assume you are powering the Ipod with the docking connector. It seems to me you also need an audio output to the radio system. I would ne nice if your car had a line in jack but I doubt it. I have successfully used a stereo out to cassette adapter with my SC430.

Reply to
edzacks

quoted text -

The IS250 has both 12v power and audio aux-in connections inside the front arm rest. Except for the aforementioned shortcomings, it's a nice idea to keep the wires out of site, but was not quite perfectly executed.

The aux-in connection works fine unless one plugs the ipod into the 12 volt for charging while playing. In this case, one gets the noise of the ground loop. The fact that a $30,000+ luxury automobile doesn't include the ~$14.00 part to isolate (ie eliminate) such is dumbfounding given that the expressed purpose of the side-by-side jacks is to power an audio device and listen to it on the car's stereo. " ... and a bunch of electrical noise" was not included in the brochure ;-)

I figure I've done well if the only complaint is something silly like this.

Reply to
david