Key lock unreliable

Sometimes I have to push the unlock several times to get the car to unlock. Is it the battery? It seems after the day wears on it works okay. Car 4 years old. I was told I would have to go to the dealer for a new battery.

Reply to
W. Wells

If you are talking about the button on the key, you can get a replacement battery at a place like Radio Shack and replace it yourself.

Reply to
Ray O

Why did my key battery burn out after 3 months and his lasted 4 years?

Reply to
mcbrue

On 29 Dec 2006 22:29:41 -0800, "mcbrue" graced this newsgroup with:

my wife's 2000 ES300 keys have never had it's batteries replaced. My

02 LS keys are fine as well. Could just be a bad battery.
Reply to
max

Yes, I've certainly read on another LOC site about problems with 'brand new' batteries being duff. Yours lasted a whole 3 months!

Reply to
Hillbilly Jon

Reply to
St. John Smythe

LOL!

You got that right!

Reply to
David Z

I think your battery just committed suicide. Couldn't stand all the moaning and complaining.

Reply to
Giga

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:48:57 -0500, "Giga" graced this newsgroup with:

LOL!

Reply to
max

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:48:57 -0500, "Giga" graced this newsgroup with:

..or, he forgot that once the doors are unlocked, you can let go of the button.

Reply to
max

This car has the auto-open thingy option so all I do is walk up to it with the brick sized key fob stretching my pants down on the side that it is in and the door will open when I grab it and open it. So the key is always on in some sense or other. The dealer was careful to show me the secret button to push to get the door blade key out of the fob when I need to. Not sure why the dealer would show me that trick ...

It does sound like the battery had a short life compared to others. But I wonder if that "always on" aspect has anything to do with it? Might be a good idea to buy a case of the batteries and leave some in the car and some at home?

Reply to
mcbrue

Why do you think that no one wants to "help" you with your "problem" at this point?

Reply to
David Z

Hey David Z - it is not that no one wants to help with the problem, it is just that they can't. The car key thingy eats batteries. So what can anyone say about that? Only thing to do is to carry a carton of spare batteries around in the trunk and keep a few at home also. Reminds me of a friend whose car burned oil - he used to carry a few cans in his trunk so he would have them ready to dump in when he pulled up to a stop sign. Gee ... hope this doesn't get that bad ... I mean look who makes batteries for the car key thingy. The japanese do. So what you do is put this thin little monofilament wire from one place in the circuit to a ground point and that lets the batteries get eaten up quickly. And then the Japanese get rich! And they can afford to eat more Kobe beef at $65/lb and play golf at $985/round. Hey I'm not griping, just trying to figure it out so I can be like a boy scout - prepared for the dire emergency of a burned out key thingy battery. Hard to feel like a boy scout as I limp to the car with one hand holding up my pants with the car key thingy in it pulling them down ... constant battles like this are sooooo exhausting. And I would put a second crate of batteries in the trunk, but it is too small already. The cooler for the back seat takes up quite a bit of room in the trunk. Not to mention the second air conditioner or whatever it is in there taking up the rest of the room. Hard to fit a keg or two of beverage in there. Oh well ...

Reply to
mcbrue

Hmmm, my dad's smart key remote is 3 years old, still on the original battery.

Reply to
Ray O

Because you're hopeless.

Bullshit. You're the only one with this problem.

That you're doing something stupid.

No, you are stupid.

I sold my 1997 ES300 in 2004 with 80,000 miles on it. It had the original battery with no signs of deterioration.

So much for your "theory."

Bullshit.

You are a f****ng moron.

Reply to
David Z

I suppose having the key in your pocket and having the buttons continually depressed when the pants get tight due to sitting or other activities could exhaust the battery.

McBrue has had trouble with his Lexus ( if he actually ownes one as others in this have suspected he doesn't) but has not had the sense to get a different car. Go figure.

Reply to
bluto

In order to have the sense to get a different car (if in fact he really does have an LS, which I personally doubt -- my guess is something closer to a Yugo), one must have sense in the first place. 'Fraid McBrewski wasn't in line when they were handing it out oh-so-many-years ago.

BTW -- I have owned 6 Lexus over the last 17 years and have NEVER replaced a single battery in ANY of the key fobs. My LS430 (2004) has the same keyless feature that we're talking about here, and the keys (both mine and my wife's) are 3 years old, showing no sign of wear. Why he thinks that the key is heavy and weighs him down is also a mystery. It's not the smalles fob in the world, but it's by no means unwieldy. Just one more example of whiny Brewski.

Cheers!

Reply to
GIga