Lexus LS400 - sterring ratio

I just drove my sons V8 1999 Lexus LS400 and this is the first Lexus I've ever driven. The steering seemed quite different to me than my own 1987 Nissan MAXIMA.

We are considering upgrading to a Lexus since my MAXIMA is needing lots of repairs recently.

Can a Lexus owner tell me if the steering behavior I encountered is normal for a 1999 LS400 or if possibly his car has a problem. He did buy the car as a CERIFIED USED CAR with bumper to bumper warranties.

Possible Steering Problem

-------------------------- When I attempted to turn right, the first turn of the steering wheel placed the car not nearly enough into the turn. I ws forced to turn the steering even more to complete the turn. I think the Lexus steering wheel is same size as my MAXIMA. But, the steering ratio might be different. Several other left and right turns caused same problem, had to turn wheel twice to complete a turn.

Is this steering normal for a 1999 LS400 and what I can expect for later LS400 class Lexus?

Or, does my sons Lexus POSSIBLY have a problem? IS problem something a dealer should be asked to correct?

Thanks for any info. Dave _S

Reply to
Dave_s

You probably just aren't used to the longer wheel base of the Lexus. For that year the difference in wheelbase is about 10 inches. Also you are trying to compare a short front wheel drive car with the long rear wheel drive LS. When you get away from rear wheel drive for awhile turning does seem strange at first. If the steering was going bad other noticeable issues would likely be happening.

Reply to
gotamagictrick