Noisy steering wheel

The steering wheel on my 2000 RX3000 has started making really strange noises...almost like the noise a nylon jacket would make if you rub the sleeves together....my mechanic said he cant figure out what it is. Has anyone else here experienced that problem, or perhaps would know what would be causing it? Thanks! AZF

Reply to
azf713

In the old days, the horn contact used to occasionally make a noise like you are describing. I am not so sure that there is still a horn ring with the advent of steering wheel controls, air bags, etc.

Reply to
Ray O

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:41:20 -0600, "Ray O" graced this newsgroup with:

could be the steering wheel spring as well. My wife's '00 ES300's steering wheel "groans" when turning the wheel while the car is stationary.. We've had it in twice so far and they've lubricated the internal mechanisms but after a couple of months, the groaning returns.

Reply to
kegler

Thanks for the info, all. I think I am going to have them pull the wheel off and see if we can locate the source. I have not been able to determine if it is coming from the wheel itself, or maybe a bit below it in the column someplace. I also wonder if it has something to do with the cold temps.

We shall see, and I will update the thread when I have an answer.

Thanks!

Reply to
azf713

Well I just have to ask - does it make the noise if it just sitting there or only when you are turning it? Or does it happen just after you have told a joke?

Reply to
mcbrue

Check to see if all controls from the steering wheel work. Cruise, horn, others. I've had a clockspring mechanism break and make really weird sounds as the wheel turns.

Reply to
dulles

On 1 Mar 2006 19:50:19 -0800, "mcbrue" graced this newsgroup with:

..LOL..funny guy...you'll be here all week right? ;-)

Reply to
kegler

Thanks...everything on the wheel and column work.

azf

Reply to
azf713