Question on FM Modulated Sirius Radios

I'm thinking of getting a Sirius radio from my 02 LS430. The particular model I'm looking at is the SV1:

However, I've read that FM modulated transmitters aren't all that reliable and are subject to a lot of signal fading and interference from local FM stations. (I lve in No. Va in the metro DC area).

Crutchfield sells an FM Modulator Relay. Basically a cable that connects directly into the stereo system from the Sirius unit thus eliminated any outside interference.

My questions are twofold:

  1. Anyone have any comments about the SV1?

and

  1. Has anyone installed this relay on an 02 LS430 with the ML sound system? Is there even a place to plug in such mini plug? And, fi so, where did you route the wiring?

Comments/suggestion highly appreciated and welcome.

Reply to
Anonymous

Compared to a fully integrated unit, the FM modulated transmitters are (in my opinion) only slightly better than nothing. If you are a true audiophile, you will be disappointed in the fidelity. The highest highs and the lowest lows won't be there.

I didn't do Sirius, got XM instead, but they're essentially peas in a pod as far as the interface.

I put it >

Reply to
New Owner

Would the cassette adapter ("direct" connection) sound better?

Reply to
Chip L

For my 98 GS. I went to Circuit City and bought a device that goes between the antenna and the radio and makes a sure connection it Cost $20. I installed it myself... That was very effective in getting rid of cross channel and other interference inherent to FM Modulation. Visually better than a cassette connection.. The Dynamic Range is limited to FM... But it worked pretty well... Then again, you could do what I did and get a new 2006 GS with the Sirius installed... Preprogammed to Howard 100!

Good Luck...

Reply to
bowled_300

When I was at Radio Shack, one of the employees told me that the Cassette adapters do not have the sound quality capabilities of FM. However, as a few other people have mentioned, it does get rid of the interference. It should probably only be used as a last resort.

Reply to
Brett

Reply to
New Owner