Any AM/FM/LW radios available in U.S.?

The pushbuttons are finally giving out in the Blaupunkt Monterey SQR 23 radio/cassette player that came with my 1986 944 Turbo (951). The dashboard-items repair place I've been using for years says they can't get replacement microswitches, and I don't like the idea of getting a used Monterey because it's going to be just as old as mine and likely to give out sometime soon, too.

The thing is that I'm a radio geek and have always enjoyed having the LW (150-285KHz) band on the Monterey. After posting some queries on the car audio and shortwave groups, I got some leads on where to get AM/FM/SW radios, the closest being one in Canada. I would still prefer LW to SW, but at least SW might satisfy my desire for something besides regular old AM and FM. :-) But the radio in qustion, a Sony XR-CA620X, is 31mm deeper than the Monterey.

Those of you who have selected new radios for your 944s, were you able to use one deeper than 150mm? I just took a ruler out to the (empty) radio slot in my console, and I think the extra inch or so won't work, because the cables need to fit behind the radio.

Any ideas about tracking down a new AM/FM/LW radio *with North American channel spacing* (10Khz AM/200KHz FM) would also be gratefully received.

Thanks! Patty

p.s. BTW, the car itself is in fine shape! 97,000 miles, very pretty (maraschino red, or whatever Porsche called it in 1986), running great. I just took it up to Yosemite a few weeks ago, and had much fun on Hwy 120 going to the park.

Reply to
Patty Winter

Patty, you should see if you can still find a Becker 2340. Check with either Becker themselves

orperhaps Continental Imports. The 2340 has US channel spacing, general coverage SW from 5900 to

15700 khz, and LW from 160 to 280-something khz. It is also a modern system with 4 amplifiers, Dolby B and C for those old cassettes, CD changer connectability, etc.

And... it matches the 944 dashboard styling even better than the old Blau.

Walt

-...- Walt Spector (w6ws at earthlink dot net)

Reply to
Walter Spector

In article , Walter Spector wrote: [nice vanity callsign :-)]

I looked at Becker's site a couple of weeks ago, and they no longer make radios. :-( I did send a note to Continental Imports a couple of days ago, but I wonder whether it's smart to buy a discontinued product. (Not just a discontinued model, but a product that the company is no longer producing.) At least the company is still in business, but it may become increasingly difficult to find anyone who can repair the radio when that time comes.

Also, Walter, do you (or does anyone else here) have experience with Continental Imports? I hope to hear back from them soon in response to the questions I sent them.

That would certainly do what I want--with the added bonus of SW.

Ah, nice! I must admit that those shiny-silver radios that seem to be popular these days don't appeal to me. At least not for the Porsche.

Patty N6BIS

Reply to
Patty Winter

Sure they do. There is one in almost every new Porsche in the last

8 or so years, and almost every Mercedes Benz since WWII. They make OE systems for BMW too.

I've not looked at their web site lately, but the 2340 was part of an aftermarket line they had a few years ago. Call Becker, because they often have some older units in stock.

They still repair vacuum tube radios from the 50s for MB owners! Totally different service philosophy than most Asian manufacturers who expect you to chuck the system in the trash when it fails.

Yes, I bought one of my 2340s from Scott at Continental Imports. It has been a few years, but there were no problems. If Scott still has a few in stock, or can get one through his European connections, I'd go for it. C Crane used to carry them too. Then there is ebay.

Indeed. 'Arcade game' displays seem quite out of place in the understatedly artful 85.5+ dash. I've often wondered if the person who designed the look of the late-90s Becker stereos was a 944 or

968 owner.

Walt - 86 944

-...- Walt Spector (w6ws at earthlink dot net)

Reply to
Walter Spector

Oh, that's weird. The place that fixes my car radios for me used to be a Becker dealer but said they couldn't get them any more. And Becker's web site says, "Radios and CD changers are no longer available," and there are hyperlinks only to amps and speakers. I'll give them a call and try to find out what the story is.

Thanks for the additional information. This is sounding much more hopeful! There aren't many NDBs left these days, but at least maybe I can get my cherished LW band back and listen to the ones there are. ;-)

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Try

I bought a pristine Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW/LW radio from them. Sure, they're located in Spain, but they have a wide variety of Blaupunkts, Becker, and others.

It took a little more than a week for my radio to arrive after order. No problems, and good communication via e-mail. I highly recommend 'em for any old Euro car that needs an original radio.

Reply to
bmwloco