Ray O RX300 timing belt

Ray, I also have a RX300 with about 47K miles on it. I have done the

5,000 oil and filter changes and the dealer (Nor Ca) did the 30K service. I am concerned with your comment about the life of the timing belt. I have just been looking at the FRM about changing the timing belt and realizing it is a lot different than replacing a Dodge 360 timing chain. My plan is to have the timing belt replaced with the 60K service. Do you have knowledge of this belt failing prematurely? BTW, this car has had the cleanest color oil in my over 55 years of driving. Does the sludge problem start with a blacker oil? Thanks, Nick
Reply to
Nick C Topolos

I am not aware of any premature (time and mileage) timing belt failures. What model year is your RX?

The sludge problem starts with extended oil change intervals, which results in blacker oil, which neglected long enough, will result in sludge.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, It is a 1999.

Reply to
Nick C Topolos

Nick,

How long, time and mileage, until 60,000 miles?

If you are concerned about the condition of the belt, you might be able to loosen the upper timing belt cover enough to sneak a look at the timing belt's condition.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Nick C Topolos

I think that 12 years is kind of pushing it as far as trusting the original timing belt. I think that it would be worth the time to remove a few bolts that hold the upper timing belt cover in place and take a peek at the belt. If you see cracks on either surface, glazing, metal strands showing, etc., then go ahead and have the belt replaced.

Reply to
Ray O