Re: LS 400 performance

Question: If Gen 1 was LS400 1990 to 1992, then is the 1993 LS 400 higher horsepower and/or faster than the Gen 1? I get the impression that 1993 LS400 was Gen 1.5 with somewhere between 250 hp and 290 hp (Gen 1 was 250 and 1994-Gen 2 was 290 hp). A little more horsepower but not a body facelift until 1994 which was the beginning to Gen 2. Thanks in advance.

Correction. Gen I was 90 to 92. > > -- > > - GRL > > "It's good to want things." > > Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, > Visual Basic programmer) > > 0-60 for the Gen I LS400 was about 7.9 sec. Quarter mile was about 90 mph > in > > the mid 15's. The engine is eager to rev, but not a torque monster (4 > > liters). The ride is excellent if you stay with tires like the Eagle GA's > > that came with it. Put on more sporting rubber, and the ride is still > good, > > but not as cushy and not nearly as quiet. (I put on Pirelli P600 Sport > > Veloce's and later BFG Touring TA's and this was true in both cases). > > Handling will get noticeably better, though. The LS is a fine handler with > > the right rubber. > > > > By the way, the Gen break was in 1992. Gen I was 90-93 with a mild > redesign > > in 94. I think the engine may have gone from valve interference free to > > valve interference prone (if timing belt breaks) at the Gen change. The > > engines are otherwise bullet-proof. Problem areas I know of are that the > > interior mirror starts to fog (go into partial night mode) under strong > > sun-light eventually, the radio and AC displays will start to fog-out in > > cold weather. Some claim that the PS pump can start to leak and take out > the > > alternator if you let it go. I asked a local SUPERB independent shop about > > doing a prophylactic PS pump swap ($590) at 85,000 miles and they > basically > > told me I'd be wasting my money. They've never seen a leak take out an > > alternator and some of the early LS's they service have original PS pumps > > and 200,000 miles on them! (Don't you just love when a repair shop insists > > you NOT spend $600 with them?) Exhaust systems and shocks seem to last > > forever. Expect to put on new brake rotors around 80,000 miles. Pads > sooner. > > > > LS's are extremely reliable...and it's a good thing because if something > big > > does break, you will be paying quite a bit to repair it. Consumables are > > also not cheap. Just paid $15 for two wiper refills (no blades, just the > > rubber). > > > > -- > > > > - GRL > > > > "It's good to want things." > > > > Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, > > Visual Basic programmer) > > > What kind of performance could I expect from a 1992-94 vintage Lexus > > LS400? > > > Looking for 0-60 and quater mile figures. Currently have a 96 ES300 that > > my > > > wife wants. I want more power and a better ride. > > > > > > I have leads on 2 well maintained, never wrecked cars that I know the > > history > > > of. What are "problem areas" with the LS400? . Any options to avoid. > Would > > > quality be better than my ES300? > > > > > > Thanks > > > > > >