Window wind noise on Lexus ES300?

Dear Experts,

This past weekend, I looked at buying a used Lexus from the 1998 to 2000 era.

I noticed that the doors don't have a frame for the window. Instead the window rolls up into the car body. When you roll down the window half way, and open the door, you have to push the door body to shut the door. Otherwise, you could break the window if you pushed it. Other cars you could push the window frame.

Now, this is not about how I shut the door. That's not the issue.

I'm thinking that this is like my old Subaru. Which used to give me issues with wind noise. And draft. Especially in the cold.

What's your experience with this? Do these Lexus windows roll up cleanly into the body, and give a good seal? Or, do they make wind noise?

What if the car was ever in an accident?

Thanks

Reply to
condor_222

Keep in mind that a specific design goal for the Lexus was minimizing NVH (noise, vibration and harshness). Yes, they're plenty quiet, unless damaged. Do take a test ride and experience it for yourself, rather than worrying speculatively.

Sounds as though you're suggesting that window frames somehow make the car safer. Note that the Lexus has side pillars, so the support that might otherwise have been provided by the window frames (which don't do much good if the door is sprung open) is provided by the permanently-in-place pillars.

Hope this helps,

Reply to
St. John Smythe

replying to St. John Smythe, sdfasdf wrote: Much noisier than the Camry V6 from same year. Window frame with huge rubber gasket keeps out wind noise on the Camry. The Lexus has wind noise coming in from the windows.

Reply to
sdfasdf