Wind noise through window

Does anybody else have excessive wind noise coming in through the windows? I have a friend with a 2001 Outback Wagon with the same problem. Clearly the seal around the window.

Any ideas?

Love my new 2003 Legacy GT sedan though, despite the fact that it's somewhat underpowered.

Regards, Dwight

Reply to
Dwight Morrow

This is the biggest complaint I have about my car... My local dealer (LD) has yet to solve my '02 GTs' noisy wind(ow) problem. *But* I have to say I did NOT buy my car from this LD, so it's not their fault. My Mrs '03 SE is fine.... They worked on mine, but it's only ok when I close the door with the glass all the way up, and then do not open & close the glass thereafter. But different speeds and temps affect the window differently, so ot always silent all the time :-( I told them to adjust the height/travel of the window but i think they changed the tightness via the passenger mirror. It helped, but did not solve the problem. I still have to adjust it with most every drive..... Terry - '03 Silver Legacy SE sedan - 36 miles! '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 23k miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

TW, can you expand on that? I mean your comment changed the tightness via the passenger mirror. I have a '94 Legacy Turbo that has a fair amount of wind noise on the driver's door. The dealer made an adjustment when I had the time belt replaced, but it's not apparent to me how they could do it without taking the door apart.

Thanks

VW

height/travel of

Reply to
Rocketman

Dwight

I think this may be one of the most common complaints about the Legacy/Outbacks. Mine does the same thing. I have found it seems to come right here the front corner of the window leaves the frame. I can stick a folded up Wendy's napkin to where it about half overlaps the black frame and the window and make it stop.

I know there seem to be adjustments the dealer do, to make this go away. I have also found that if I roll down the window, then roll it back up that it will re-seat and not be so noisy.

This is one of those problems that just gets old. It would make think long about buying another Subaru because it is so annoying, kind of like a pebble in your shoe.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Just take it back to the dealer, describe the problem, and ask them to adjust the window tension. It's a common issue with these frameless windows.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Glad to hear I'm not alone with this problem, but also sounds like there are no complete fixes. Like others, I have to put the window up and down, sometimes several times, to get a better seal.

Has anybody ever tried to pump up or fatten the seal by sticking something (insulating type material) inside the fold of the seal? There's quite a bit of space to play with.

Thanks to all who have responded!

Regards, D

Reply to
Dwight Morrow

apply liquid silicone to all your rubber moldings, this lubricates and protects them

this and and adjustment should solve your problem

a little self maintenance goes a long way

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

Here's a suggestion from awhile back you might try. ____________________ From snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Wed Apr 24 01:31:33 2002 A trick I use is to open the door and put the window down completely. The mirror gusset (as I like to call it) has a space for the window to slide in between it. Squeeze this together tightly and you'll be surprised at the result. _____________________

BoB For the duration of Swen, my address is inoperative.

Reply to
BoB

Had the dealer rehang my passenger side door on my 02 OBW for the same reason. Now the driver side is starting to act up...

| > Any ideas? | >

| > Love my new 2003 Legacy GT sedan though, despite the fact that it's somewhat | > underpowered. | >

| > Regards, Dwight

Reply to
Bobby

I recently brought my '03 Outback to the dealer with horrible wind noise and they reset the glass track in it. The noise is now 90% gone.

Darren

Reply to
Gerry Mac

I tried this and it worked great. I could feel the seal 'pop' out a little and it took care of my problem. Give this a try before you go see the dealer.

Reply to
Jack

I got it too. It all started when the wedge (driver side door) fell off. I glued it back in the exact same place but the noise is there at high speed no matter if the door was closed with the window down or up. It seems it coulduse a wedge a little higher up. I think it has to do with the transition of the triangular frame and the glass. Its not even so there is a slight void to fill. If I could find some small rubber gasket material Id do it myself. I don't trust the dealer to do it. It seems they never get a body job right. And I don't want them messing up the whole door gasket. So I put up with the noise.

I just handed in my email marketing questionare and I never mentioned it as an annoyance..... But then again I have a slight piston slap when the engine is cold, just after the plugs were changed.....

80,000 miles... can't complain.....

Dwight Morrow wrote:

Reply to
Phil Fimiani

A good dealer will be able to reseat the window hardware to eliminate all problems. I just had mine fixed after 6 months of noise.

Reply to
Gerry Mac