04 Punto engine tapping noise?

Hi all,

A young newsish driver has recently noticed a tapping / clicking noise from the engine of her fairly tidy 87k, 04, 1.2, Punto.

I've not heard it directly myself yet but wondered if it was a noise recognised by any of the good folk here please?

It sounds like someone typing under the bonnet. ;-)

I asked her to listen again with the bonnet open and she says it's coming from near the rad (so front of the engine), so little end or gear catching (she did have a new gear linkage cable recently)? Does it have a cam chain?

One of my first questions to her was 'does it have sufficient oil' and apparently she had let it run very low ... but she's not seen the low oil pressure light coming on (assuming it has one) and the sound was recorded after it was topped up with oil (and the oil made no difference etc)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m