Engine Tapping Noise

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma, V6, that was driven approximately 3 miles without any oil in the engine. After reaching the truck I filled the engine with oil, started it, and let it ran for a while. Since all appeared to be fine, the truck was driven for approximately 30 miles. After reaching the destination a slight noise was noticeable on the right side of the engine. After letting the truck set for two hours, it was driven, on the return trip, the same number of miles. While driving the noise got a little louder. The truck set overnight, so when it was started, the next morning, the noise developed into quite a loud tapping.

I thought the noise was coming from maybe worn lifters or camshaft lobes, but there was no miss while the engine was running. After pulling the value covers off, I measured the camshaft lobes and found that they were all within tolerance and the lifters looked fine.

Please advise on what is the possible problem or problems.

Reply to
cea1

Interesting. How did that happen?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I fear for his engine. I'd be curious to know also. AH asked a good question for a change.

Reply to
dbu`

Sounds like rod bearing knock. The rod bearings are usually the first to go when an engine is driven without any oil as they absorb a considerable amount of load and force compared to the camshaft bearings. Drop the oil pan, see if it looks like silver glitter in the oil.

Reply to
qslim

Okay, thanks for the advice! I'll drop the pan and give it a look. By the way, if the rod bearing is bad, doesn't that also mean that the crank will have to be serviced.

Reply to
cea1

So you are completely without oil?

Where is the noise coming from? under the valve cover? or lower in the engine? You may be able to get away with just a bearing job, or actually a part of the typical "re-ring" job that also includes piston ring set.

Reply to
johngdole

If the rod bearing is bad, then at the very least, the crankshaft will have to be inspected.

Reply to
Ray O

The noise appeared to be coming from the beneath the value covers, which caused me to think that the lifters were tapping, but after removing the covers the lifters, and camshaft lobes, looked to be in great condition.

Reply to
cea1