space-saver spares

Anyone know where I can get a space-saver spare wheel for an A2 (1.4 TDI)? Audi are asking =A3200 quid which seems a bit ridiculous. Done a bit of googling but come up empty so far. I'm near Glasgow.

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

Chandy

Sorry, but I think you're out of luck. This wasn't a large volume seller(A2) by a long chalk so you're limited by previous volume of sales which was virtually bugger all. The scrapyards aren't exactly overflowing with this model so I think you're stuck with Audi spares. Sorry I couldn't be more constructive, but I have been stuck in the same position as you and know what it's like Peter

Reply to
Partac

Do what I did if you can with a boot fitted space saver fitted car. Checked the foam moulding that the wheel fitted into, with a sharp knife cut out the restricting foam lugs which stopped the slim wheel from dropping in too far and then put in a *REAL* wheel.

Manufacturers please note, *REAL* wheel, not a skinny bicycle inner tube pretending to have some tread.

PDH

Chandy

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Space savers have a compound designed for a very long life - they also reduce weight. Stick an ordinary tyre in your boot for ten years and the rubber will be useless.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

Any evidence for that? I know tyre life is limited, but I would expect lifespans to assume the tyre being on the vehicle exposed to fresh air, direct sunlight and pollutants. The spare-well of a car is dry[1], dark, coolish, doesn't have fresh air circulating round it and doesn't have hydrocarbons from the other traffic sprayed all over it.

I've seen spares that've been there for fifteen years which appear quite happy, wheras spares exposed to the outside world, like Transits and Clios die young.

[1] Well, it /should/ be dry!
Reply to
Guy King

Still want a *REAL* wheel on my car if the need arose. I would much rather take a chance on the quality of a real wheel over a ten year period than a skitsy cycle tyre with limited get you home capabilities once fitted.

Space savers are unloved by many people, yet the manufacturers still insist on fitting cars with the blasted things. The only thing worse that a space saver is no wheel and a can of tyre fix. Now that is cheap and nasty.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I would phone around some scrappies. There will be some A2's around it's just a case of finding one. I don't know what area your in but give Windleys a call even if they don't have one they are likely to know someone who has.

Regards

Howie...

Reply to
Howard Dean

How about this?

to be a few going on eBay but would they fit an A2? Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

no wheel, tyrefix + inflator and roadside assistance is ideal for those with cars whose front and back tyre and wheels are different sizes. Plenty of >50k cars come with that, not cheap and nasty at all.

And mobilo is a great service!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Problem comes when some companies who do 'roadside assistance' have a clause in the policy which *require* you to have a proper spare tyre or they won't help! Couldn't beleive it when I saw that today.

The auction is a 4-stud, need 5 it seems.

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

By 'proper' I mean full size or space-saver. The can of tyre fix and compessor supplied by audi is not enough it seems.

Reply to
Chandy

To all but the stupidest, they're an infallible incentive to get the faulty tyre fixed at the earliest opportunity.

The only thing worse that a space

What if the tyre blows-out or worse, rather than a simple puncture? I'd like to see a can that can take care of that.

-- S.C.

Reply to
Stephen Chalmers

So you extend your manufacturers roadside assistance.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Rubber degenerates when in contact with oxygen, that is the main limit to shelf life. Google for Rubber + Oxygen..

I know tyre life is limited, but I would expect

Reply to
Fred