Oil in bulk

I now have 3 cars to look after -- mine, the wife's, and now no 1 offspring.!

So - oil changes every 6 months can get expensive when using the retail packs - especiall for GTX Maganatec!

Anyone know where, in the Birmingham (UK!) area, I can get magnatec oil in larger quantities at a discount? - I'm sure you used to be able to get 5 gallon drums or somesuch at on time ...

Reply to
R. Murphy

Most motorfactors do 20l drums. But the savings are not huge. For example, 5l Total semi-synth = £10, 20l same = £38. You save two pounds.

It's when you buy the *big* drums that you start saving some money.

Reply to
Grunff

If you want to save money try your local Farm suppliers. They usually supply various brands of oil for use in farm vehicles such as tractors and pick ups.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

My local costco also have some Chevron barrels in stock - I'd guess 25 litres.

Reply to
TimM

Dont know how cheap you want but Costco generally do a good deal eg. Chevron fully synthetic about 12 quid for 5 litres

I contacted oil suppliers a year or so ago and couldnt seem to find any good discount......

Steve

Reply to
sro

If you insist on the heavily advertised brands, you'll pay for this. Try using an oil with the correct or better spec that isn't a household name.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Used to use Valvoline a few years ago. My Delta turbo engine even survived very low oil level due to bust hose

Peter

Reply to
ph12

Asda/Walmart do Texaco Havoline for not too much £7 per gallon IIRC. County stores do Q8 for about the same price.

Reply to
Malc

What spec is the stuff for 7 quid - I take it Texaco/Havoline do a range of oils.....

Steve

Reply to
sro

Remember there's more to an oil than its viscosity rating. Check the spec which will be given on the container to make sure it passes your maker's recommendations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Absolutely - I suspect that the 7 quid stuff is not the fully synthetic SJ rated oil that is specified for my car :-( On the other hand, at least there are many ways to avoid the exhorbitant prices demanded by some makers ( I think Mobil1 is 30 quid for 4 litres in many shops :-(. What do you put in your 5 series ?

Steve

Reply to
sro

Can't remeber off the top of my head. However for my diesel it is at least the spec required for the car if not better, certainly the Q8 oil is better spec

Reply to
Malc

Malc,

Can you remember the name of the oil for petrol engines ? ( And, whether it meets/exceeds SJ spec :-) This looks like it might be the best bargain I've seen..

Steve

Reply to
sro

It's still serviced at the dealers. ;-( But I've never topped it up.

I've got Halfords fully synth in the SDI for the first time. Used their semi-synth before

Reply to
Dave Plowman

synthetic SJ

API SJ oil need not be, and is commonly not synthetic. If your car 'must have' synthetic then it will need better oil than that, although it will also meet the lesser and somewhat outdated and inferior SJ.

SL is the latest and best minimum API specification. Depending on the base oils used, this specification can be met by mineral or semi-synthetic blends also.

Time to dump API standards which are a 'minimum' standard for oils. Use ACEA or MB or BMW standards which at least offer a graded scale of performance standard.

Huw

exhorbitant

Reply to
Huw

No but it was the same brand. The diesel Q8 oil certainly met SJ spec and I think the Texaco stuff did too. Trouble is because I'm not buying oil for petrol cars I don't look at those products - keeps shopping times down. None of this "Oh look at those shoes they're cheap" type of crap. Diesel oil is what I came to buy nothing else.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Volvo recommend Castrol SLX 0/30 in turbo cars, that's £9.99/l at halfords...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp