Vibe wheels - 16 vs. 17

I am interested in buying a Vibe, base model. My dealer has a nice one with the moon and tunes, ABS, etc. However, it has 17" wheels which he claims give a better ride than the 16" wheels because the 17" wheels are also wider. I think he is just trying to sell me one from his inventory. Anyone have a opinion about which is better for a smoother, quieter ride - 16" or 17" ? Thanks.

Reply to
Ralph K.

It is MY opinion that you would get a better ride from the 16's, but better handling and control from the 17's. Also, generally, replacing the tires for the 17's will be a little more expensive, and harder to find higher mileage tires. However, I can tell you that MANY people will disagree with me since this subject has come up before. If at ALL possible, check different dealerships, try to take a ride in both and see for yourself.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

wheel size is irrelevant. The side wall height of the tire determines ride comfort. Tall sidewalls have smooth straight line ride, and low profile tires have good handling in corners. GW

"Ralph K." wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

which is funny, because when people put 24" rims on their avalanche/tahoe, it proceeds to handle and ride like shit. you feel EVERYTHING in the road. very obnoxious.

Reply to
Paradox

Good lord, I haven't seen those monstrosities yet.

CNBC reported Friday thet the Cadillac Escalade was four times as likely to get stolen as any other vehicle and that it was likely due to it's popularity with sports and rap stars. Good to know criminals are breeding during the jobless recovery.

Hey, when will the Phoenix fuel crunch end? Prices are up up-here now.

GW

Paradox wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

My bad, I automatically assumed the sidewall would be different. Geoff is absolutely correct. That's what I meant. (I was thinking of it anyway) :)

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

everywhere is about $1.99 right now, top end prices are around $2.15. I've got a costco card, havent seen what the price at their pump is though, hopefully can get away with only paying $1.90 or so. Last time I gassed up was like last sunday before the real shit went down, paid I think $1.86, had to fill half the tank, right now I'm at half a tank right now, with 175 miles on the trip, this week I'm going to find out how fuel efficient the monte really is when I'm not bolting at every light.

And last time I knew the pipeline failed its test on thursday or whenever, so its still going to be awhile... Thankfully everyone stopped panicing and topping off their tanks and now most stations have gasoline.

avalanche/tahoe,

Reply to
Paradox

PDX

You bolt from every light in a 3400 Monte?

Prices here are 1.89 - 1.99 and 2.09 Have seen 2.19 for premium at a few stations. Ohio Turnpike was 1.75 for regular yesterday.Forget what Indiana gas was at the oasis's was, but diesel was 1.41

PA was only a few cents less than OH.. Indiana stations that border Illinois upped their prices with some new taxes this year to help the " Po Folk " out so now their prices are less than 10 cents what IL is. No longer pays to drive to Indiana for gas. I never did we are 25 miles form the border.

Will County just outside of Cook County sometimes varies 10 to 14 cents lower, so If I'm out Will's way I'll get gas there.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~263,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
*Zoe*