1998 Fiesta needs new sump, clutch, etc. Time to get rid?

Hello -

I've got a 1998 1.3 petrol Fiesta (the Endura-E) that has done 90000 miles, I've had it since new. It neeed various bits replacing to get through the last MOT. It now needs:

- new sump (I've looked and it's very rusty)

- probably a new clutch (difficulty getting into reverse and 1st, judders when doing hill starts in wet, garage can't find anything wrong with suspension)

- the spark plugs are probably rusted into the cylinder head (dealer said they would probably snap if attempted, so I said don't bother. Cylinder head looks pretty rusty to me.)

Main dealer quoted £850, I'm guessing an independent garage would charge at least £500. My maintenance skills are limited to changing brake pads. I might be able to DIY the plugs by applying penetrating oil for a week or two beforehand. How difficult would it be to DIY the sump?

In the judgement of the group, is it time for me to replace this car?

Thanks

Reply to
Simon

Not really.

A sump usually looks rusty, it's not a problem unless it's been seriously dented, or leaking. Test it by pushing the rustiest looking bit *gently* with a thumbnail. If there's no give, or if it doesn't feel like you're going to push clean through, then there's no problem.

Get a clutch done by one of the clutch places, shouldn't be too expensive.

Spark plugs never break because they're seized in, they break because they've been snapped off by a socket used out of line. The dealer means they may strip the threads when removed. The penetrating oil thing *might* work, but is the car running OK? If so, I might leave them, they last yonks anyway.

I would use it till it's next MOT and see what it fails on, then take the decision. And I'd take it for the test a couple of weeks before it's due, that takes the time pressure off you.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

  • Of course, I haven't seen the bodywork/interior etc*

:-))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Simon ( snipped-for-privacy@dfgdgdf.invalid.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's not an MOT fail.

FFS, that's just poor maintenance. When were they last done, for god's sake? Did nobody bother with a smear of copaslip on the threads last time?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a bigger difference from a dealer.

With no ticket and a list of faults, it's going to get you sod all. A ton tops.

With £500 spent, it's got to be worth more than that - £7-800 or so?

What's your time and effort worth to you?

Reply to
Adrian

spark plugs do snap off !! i had a KA with the fiesta engine in it and the plugs were that rusty in the head they snaped off leaving just the threaded part behind & that was using the correct socket & i had to use a breaker bar they were that tight, i managed to get them out using an excellent "easy out" tool from snap on, its got me out of trouble a fair few times.

Reply to
reg

Sounds like you need to change where you service the car Plugs on these engines do not seize if lubricated and don to correct torque. They are very robust engines and much cheaper than zetecs to maintain(no cambelt) Go to a good independent and should cost £200 at the most

Reply to
Steve Tames