2 most vulnerable parts of the modern car engine

True - I was more meaning something directly mounted to a thermal well in the cyl head.

Or an actual coolant level sensor in addition.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

: Big air-cooled diesels are far from unusual in trucks and rail.

I used to fly a small single seater aircraft powered by a 200hp air cooled diesel.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

The message from "Ian Johnston" contains these words:

Yebbut - there's lots of air up there!

Reply to
Guy King

The nice high speed airflow is an optimum for air-cooed engines though. Airplanes typically don't spend time idling, or creeping along in traffic.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

: Ian Johnston wrote: : > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:02:43 UTC, Adrian : > wrote: : > : > : Big air-cooled diesels are far from unusual in trucks and rail. : > : > I used to fly a small single seater aircraft powered by a 200hp air : > cooled diesel. : : The nice high speed airflow is an optimum for air-cooed engines though. : Airplanes typically don't spend time idling, or creeping along in : traffic.

Oh, the engine didn't go anywhere.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Pug/Citroen use them to light the "STOP" engine "F****D" light.

Peter Hill

My 1990 vauxhall has one.

Reply to
adder1969

Reminds me of the theory that if dashboards keep on the way they are eventually the car will just stop and the whole dash will just light up with a huge '?'.

I know the Citroen I had as a hire car a while ago came close when after a serious amount of playing with the suspension in a traffic jam a 'STOP!' light filled my view.

I stopped playing, but carried on driving. No fuss. I *think* it was just low pressure which it caught up with again after a while.

Who needs brakes and steering anyway ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Bring back the old peugeot 205 dash - nothing warning-wise on it apart from an oil pressure light and a battery light (temp light blew). The only time i knew it was overheating was when it started burning oil and running lumpy. Did that twice at least. Ran for 3 years after too, impressively determined little engines.

Coyoteboy

Bring back? Yup There's a 1992 205 out there with about as few lights and guages as you could possibly wish for there. They even took out the rev counter and fitted a dial clock.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Ahem. Perhaps you should explain the (static) engine reeled in a cable to which the single seater aircraft was temporarily attached.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

The message from snipped-for-privacy@mail.com contains these words:

My uncle used to have a nice sideline producing Jaguar-based glider winches.

Reply to
Guy King