Preventive replacement of engine parts

I have a '95 Ford Aerostar with 100K miles, and except that two fuel pumps have died, it has been an excellent car.

I'm curious: Would it be advisable at this point, to reduce the likelihood of failures on the road, to have the water pump and generator replaced?

Tx,

CV, Hilton Head Is., SC

Reply to
Charles Varner

Sure wouldnt hurt if you travel where youre a long way from a shop. I would do the belts, hoses, plugs and fuel filter too for sure. Oh and...have you serviced the transmission lately?

Reply to
Scott M

Using your logic, why not replace the rod bearing too? Or the Transmission.

Basically, as the old daying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Hank

Reply to
Ninebal310

For good measure you should also do the radiator, heater core and hoses. Sparkplugs, wires and battery aren't a bad idea. Maybe wheelbearings, brakepads, shoes and tie rod ends ?

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

At 100K you have gotten your money out of those parts. THAT is what preventive maintenance is all about. Much easier to change them now than when the give out and leave you stranded.

mike hunt

Charles Varner wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

I have 212k miles on my '92 Grand Marquis and I only replace what's broken. I take it regularly cross country on 3000 mile round trips from Texas to Florida. Just ensure that your fluids have been properly serviced and you should be good to go. I only had to replace a noisy alternator once and also a noisy catalytic convertor on separate trips. Much less expensive than trying to replace everything that "might" go wrong. Remember, every time you have your car serviced, there is a definite possibility of something else being affected negatively. Stan K.

Reply to
Stan Kasperski

Do NOT replace the alternator as a preventative maintanence item. Replacement alternators are often of such poor quality that your much better off with the original one.

Reply to
scott_z500

Perhaps if you are the kind that buys rebuilt parts. What makes you believe a new Ford alternator with a 12mo/12mi warranty will not last just as long as the original when it too was new? Sounds a bit silly to me to believe other wise ;)

mike hunt

scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo