2004 Accord 2.0 SE whining engine noise

Hello,
My 2004 Accord 2.0 SE i-vtec has done around 90k miles.
It had a major service done recently, where they changed amongst others
the air filter and the belt (serpentine? Not timing, it's chain-driven). I noticed that there is a whine with the car stationary, audible from the inside and the outside. The best I can describe it is as a vacuum-cleaner in the distance. It does not vary as I dry-steer; it's hard to tell if it follows engine-revs. It is audible with and without the A/C. When I switch off the engine it carries on a bit after the pulleys have stopped until it fades out; a second all in all?
I am not sure I can pinpoint its whereabouts exactly, but I would guess it's in the area around/inside the box behind the battery (air-filter?). If I put my ear close to that box, I can hear it pretty loud and when the engine is switched off, I can hear hissing from there (like a leaking tyre) for (say) a second; the hissing and the fade-out appear to be happening together, though I cannot say if the hissing is masked but always there when the engine is running. I don't know if the hissing is new, but I am pretty sure the whine is.
Any thoughts will be most appreciated.
Cheers,
Kostas
--
Emails to this address are dropped.

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 20:02:43 +0000, Kostas Kavoussanakis

Are you sure the whining isn't coming from your Grik wife?

No need for that one your Holiness. Best you repent.
On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 21:17:23 -0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

Surely, you meant "your Assholeness"!
On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 21:17:23 -0000, "Mr Pounder"

I am beyond salvation, Mr Bounder.