2012 Focus brake fluid

Should really get the brake fluid changed in this car, Mk3 2012 Focus, are there any gotcha's or special procedures necessary when flushing the fluid on this model? Local garage was somewhat evasive when I asked about it and I want to avoid taking it to the dealer, if possible :) It has rear drums and standard manual handbrake.

Reply to
Lee

last time I looked Ford charged thirty quid for a fluid change. There is no reason not to do it yourself, if you want to, but for thirty quid in this weather, why bother.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm very suspicious of the fact that my master cylinder failed shortly after a fluid change on one of my previous cars. Car was only 4 years old. I suspect someone just pumped the pedal to the floor repeatedly to expel the old fluid rather than using a pressurised system.

I could be talking bollocks of course but I've never had a master cylinder fail before and it's the first car that I'd agreed to regular fluid changes on.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's not the cost, more the inconvenience and them wanting the car for the whole day because they "can't book it in for a specific time", ie they'll probably forget all about it until I ring them to ask if it's ready then rush it at the last minute. BTDTGTT.

If there are no special precautions needed I'd sooner get it done elsewhere :)

Reply to
Lee

Well indeed. Garage that serviced it last time said they preferred not to do fluid changes (on Fords) unless there was a problem so maybe they've been bitten in the past as well?

I mean it's all working fine so it's more of a preventative maintenance thing, bit pointless if it *causes* a problem! :)

Reply to
Lee