Rear brake adjustment UK Focus 1.6 Zetec

Handbrake is now quite slack and I need to adust rear brakes. Any tips on how to adjust please. UK Focus 1.6 Zetec, 2004 model year with ABS..Rear drums. Is there a preset torque setting when setting up the rear wheel bearing once the drum has been removed/replaced, or is it just tightened up and then loosened back by a small amount. Is the hub seperate from the drum, or all one piece.

TIA

Mick

Reply to
Mick

Rear brake adjustment of course is automatic. If you only want to adjust the handbrake, there is no need to remove the drums.

If you want to access the shoes, the best way *in my opinion* is to remove the 4 bolts holding the bearing carrier to the hub. These can be seen from under the car, looking at the brake backplate. The drum complete with bearing carrier comes off as one unit. Doing it this way does not involve disturbing the bearings at all, and means you have much more room to remove/replace the shoes if needed. If ABS is fitted, you have to do a bit of jiggling with the sensor wire.

There are those that will tell you that it is too difficult to get to the bolts, or even that the bolts are prone to breaking(?). However this method is as described by the admirable Mr Haynes, and is also the way my local dealer does them. Later Escorts were exactly the same and I've done a number of them without a problem.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you want to adjust the handbrake it will be done by tightening the screw just at the handbrake handle. If you want I can send detailed instructions to do it.

Reply to
TheSurgeon

Thanks for the info Chris. Not got this reply yet via BTOpenworld newsgroups.....hence replying via Google. Does disconnecting and re-connecting the ABS lead cause any probles/warning lights to come up on next engine start?? Handbrake is quite high up, so want to adjust that. I was always "told" that the rear shoes should be checked/adjusted first before the cable slack is taken up. There is a little movement on the brake pedal, so I just want to check that the adjusters are doing their job properly first.

Mick

Reply to
Mick

No

Sensible advice. Check front discs/pads at the same time, and you will have peace of mind for a while.

There is a little movement on the brake

I like to remove the drums once a year, clean out the dust and lubricate the rubbing points. I then release the self-adjust pawl so that on re-assembly I can determine that the self adjust is working.

If the handbrake travel is still excessive, it is easy to adjust from inside the vehicle. I would do that with both rear wheels off the ground to ensure that the handbrake is releasing fully.

Good luck,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan