205 (non-PAS) steering column UJ

Just got a ticket on 'erselfs Pug - 90/G pikey-spec 1.1 205 - with no problem whatsoever, except for an advisory on the steering column UJ.

Apparently, it's "a little loose". It's been flagged as "slight play" and "slightly deteriorated" on the yellow sheet.

When we got the car last year, it was the opposite - a bit stiff and notchy, but nothing a quick spray with WD didn't cure.

What's the score? Bugger to replace, or fairly straightforward?

Reply to
Adrian

If it comes off it's dead easy. But it's probably rusted solid to the column by now. & the column won't want to come off the rack...

Reply to
Duncan Wood

on lots of cars these days the UJ is actually inside by the drivers feet and is really easy to change, I don't usually work on French stuff so it is not one I am familiar with unfortunately.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

on lots of cars these days the UJ is actually inside by the drivers feet and is really easy to change, I don't usually work on French stuff so it is not one I am familiar with unfortunately.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I wouldn't have used WD40. If there are any rubber bushings it can cause them to go too slippy.

I had this with my wife's car - I sprayed various gearchange linkages and bushes. Within a short time it needed to be replaced as the rubber had gone soft.

Reply to
John

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Thanks. You're almost as much help as MrCheerful was...

Reply to
Adrian

WEll it tends to split off the upper column without any grief, but be well stuck to the lower one, which may or may not come out of the steering rack. I've heard some quite loud bangs whilst splitting them off with the hydraulic spreader, so either be prepared to reassemble it or make sure you've got a vice, a big hammer & some drifts available before you star, it's not a very difficult job, IIRC (it's a bit since I've seen one) splitting it from the top column & & slackening the rack off was easiest, but if you've got a couple of axle stands, some ring spanners, a socket set a Haynes book of lies & a hammer it's not difficult.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Right, ta.

It's bloody staying, then, until it's a real problem or I'm in there for something else.

Reply to
Adrian

Well it's worth a gander, sometimes they really do just slide off like the book says and then it's not an "oh bollocks now I have to do it job"

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Furry muff. Need to clean & paint the bulkhead under the servo, anyway - it had a servo just before we bought it, and it sounds like the numpty who did it was a little careless with the brake fluid. No rot, just no paint.

Reply to
Adrian