405 Recirc fan problems

Dear Group,

I've read with interest various posts from the archives and used them to fix various parts of my '94 405 1.9 TD (it's the "Hunter" one). I've come up with a problem which perhaps has been encountered before but I can't spot it in the archives...

Recently I've started using the re-circ function on my heater to quickly heat up the car (Edinburgh in winter is a wee bit chilly). Unfortunatly it's started playing up. With the recirc button activated, there is no problem. When I switch it back to fresh air (recirc off) I get an irregular (and pretty loud) clicking noise coming from the LHS dashboard. Took the car in for a service yesterday and the £50 opinion of the auto electrician was that it was a problem with the solenoid which changes the airflow path, and that to further investigate was a "whole dashboard off" job and would be about 2 hours (at the aforementioned rate). I thought for that amount of money I should conduct further investigations on my own!

I'm reasonably handy about taking off fashias etc. and fairly technically minded - is this a job that I could do myself? Has anyone else encountered it? The recirc is not a necessary feature - to be honest I would happily just disable it. Is it possible to do this anywhere other than at the recirc switch? Could I simply cut a wire at the (marginally more accessible) ECU end?

He also told me that the ECU had been sitting in a pool of water (the gutter at either end of the bonnet vents were blocked) - but that drying it out and resealing had not fixed the problem.

Many thanks,

Ben Panter.

PS: Had problems with newserver today, apologies if this arrives a few times.

Reply to
Ben Panter

Quite possibly the flap which chooses whether air comes from outside or is recirculated has siezed in the recirc position . The little motor that moves the door is doing its best to close it , but the rack keeps bending away allowing the pinion to jump a tooth .......result an annoying clicking sound . Getting at the heater is a serious job, if your auto spark can do it in 2 hours , good luck to him. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Thanks Steve - I guess I'll just have to put up or stump up then!

Ben

Reply to
Ben Panter

Steve,

I spent the afternoon yesterday inside the dashboard, and you're quite right. There is a half gear (semicircle) attached to a big plate which acts to switch the direction of the vent. The control for this consists of three wires - red black and yellow. Since the gear rotates in both directions I presumed that the black and red were power (which could be inverted) and the yellow was a control. The remedy was to switch the fan position to fresh, and get the gear into the position where it was clicking. Then I removed the connector to the motor which drives the venting plate, fixing it in the "fresh" position.

To actually replace the little drive would involve removing every piece of fashia from the front of the car - not something I intend to do. I am left with a car which has fresh air permanently on - which is far better than the clicking noise.

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Panter