60,000 on a 3 year old car?

What's the general concensus (please) ...

60,000 miles on a 2001 2 litre car? It's a sporty saloon, non-turbo, almost absolutely immaculate bodywork, wheels and interior for sale at a reputable main dealer. It's been regularly serviced and valeted, and previously company owned. I don't know who it was in the company that drove it, a rep, a manager, the director, no idea but the car looks really looked after and not patched up. But it's high miles with some complicated bits, ABS, traction control, some gizmo's on the engine.

I was hoping for something around half this mileage in a mainstream car such as a Focus, but I'd be looking at another 2 grand for a 2001 car! The alternative for probably a bit more money is something like a 1999/2000 Focus which is a little safer but still hits around a 45,000 mileage.

What do we think about high miles in less years?

Reply to
DSK

In news:409cf8da$0$25322$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com, DSK decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Unimportant on new stuff. Most new motors will happily gurgle along for

200000 miles without needing any major engine work, and everything else (apart from stuff like brake pads, cambelts etc) seems to happily last 100k without a problem. All depends on regular servicing and not being Kev'd to death.
Reply to
Pete M

as long as all services were done when they should have been and you like/feel happy with the car, and seller will put a years (minimum) guarantee on it (watch small print)the 60K are prob motorway miles which means less engine wear n tear than a 30K town used car...

And as its a ford it will be rusting to nothing in 2 years, so nowt really worth worrying about engine wear/mileage!

HTH

Mark

Reply to
Lostin1999

That'll be a 2.0 ESP Focus then will it? Or are you being coy ?

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I notice you don't admit what model of car this is. So is it one of the good ones like a daewoo, hyundai or proton perhaps? or is this a decent car like a Lexus is200?

If its something good then it should be run-in by now, otherwise it is probably run-out.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

That's not high miles in 3 years :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

What is it??? If it's a BMW, Merc, Mondeo, Vectra etc. then we'll all say a qualified "no problem", if it's an Alfa, Renault, Fiat, Citroen we might not be so sure.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

As long as it's had regular servicing, the test drive is the be all and end all. If it drives good and sounds good it IS good. Just make sure you try every electrical gadget out, and look for major nasties like overheating.

Reply to
Steve B
60,000 is not that high these days except you might need to get the cambelt changed.

I would look at the reliability of the car rather than mileage. Which mag. puts Toyota Honda Nissan Subaru Hyundai then the VWs Newer German cars are not so good (worst was Audi TT100!) and Ford has improved recently.

Another plus is a car at the end of its life-cycle-new models sometimes have recalls and design faults I have a '89 Nissan Bluebird with 172,000 just had oil brakes and exhausts. From what I hear the Primera took 3 years to get the same reliability (brake/suspension probs)

Reply to
David Wood

The message from "DSK" contains these words:

That's not high miles!

Anyway, generally I'd say it was a good thing - car's been warmed up most of the time, probably much of the mileage done at motorway speeds which impose little wear on the suspension etc.

Reply to
Guy King

No, not a problem. So long as it's been looked after.

Reply to
SteveH

/wonders if SteveH realises Alfa was put in there to proboke a response/

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'd hate to disappoint my public ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

But how do you know? If it was my own car, I'd say that it's not a problem because I know the history and servicing. But at 60k there is always the strong possibility that the car is unloaded just before a pile of essential repairs, e.g. clutch, waterpump etc. These things are not serious problems, but should be factored into the price. But if the price is right and the car is clean...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

And your stalker :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from Johannes H Andersen contains these words:

You don't, but for most modern cars (and I don't include Puntos here!)

60,000 miles ain't a lot.
Reply to
Guy King

OMG, unless it is an automatic avoid it if owned by a younger person. It will have been to every car cruise in Britain by now and lost lots of rubber at a local McDonalds. Completely thrashed as it isn't owned or respected by the driver. By the way you say "gizmos" on the engine you imply it is modified in some way which will invalidate the insurance policy - if any - of the current driver.

FORGET IT, it sounds like a complete tosser has driven it.

Reply to
AM200

You really don't know anything about boy-racers (or posting to usenet), do you? I've never been to my local McDonalds to watch cars 'lose their rubber' but if I did I'd be very surprised to see a new-ish saloon car there. Neither have I seen a boyracer-mobile that could be described as regularly valeted or almost immaculate condition. It's also reasonable to assume that the manufacturer fitted the 'gizmos' unless you believe the ABS and traction control are modifications too?

Your post makes as much sense as saying 'avoid if owned by an older person. It will have been driven at 40mph everywhere by a man wearing a hat, at the front of queue of traffic, and never exceeded 2000rpm'.

Reply to
Tim Vincent

Yeah but that would involve the owner being psychic & they could unload it at 20000.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The message from "AM200" contains these words:

How so? It's only about 80 miles a day - hardly a vast mileage.

Reply to
Guy King