Advice on 2001 or 02 SE purchase

I'm looking to buy one of two SE sedans, auto tranny, either a 2001 or

2002, from local dealers. Both are high mileage with 100K miles on the 2001 and 90K on the 2002. Both appear in good condition for the age. I'm not too familar with the Focus other than it gets good reviews and I like the way it drives and looks. I'm going to have my own mechanic look at it and I'm pretty knowlegable auto-wise in general, doing most of my own work, but I don't know much about this car. Any advice on particular issues to look for? Models, years to be avoided? They are asking $5000 for the 2002 and $5900 for the 2001. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply to
akheel

What motors are in them?

Only thing with the 01' is find out if the fuel pump recall was done. They had problems with the early pumps cavitating when there was 1.4 tank and going around right hand turns (thats a fun one lol)

Reply to
smoedog

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the input. I actually ended up finding and buying a 2004 ZTS from the original owner with 85K miles with 15K miles left on the transferable 100K mile extended warranty the seller got when he bought the car. The car has the 2.3L engine and is in near perfect condition (had it checked over). It's for my daughter, but I drove it home and loved it. Peppy, comfortable and good handling. I think the bigger engine makes a difference. Had the a/c blowing the whole time, no problem. She's happy, I'm happy (got a good price). Life is good.

Reply to
akheel