620ti temp gauge, weird behaviour

Been having the temp gauge doing weird things, Starts off cold as normal, goes up a bout a quarter when urban driving, but only reaches half if I'm sitting in traffic for ages, then as soon as I'm moving again goes down almost to complete cold again. Temp sensor or something more sinister? All levels appear correct under bonnet, engine idling fine, no loss of power. should it fluctuate quite that much? never noticed it till now.

Cheers

Austin

Reply to
aust_powers

aust snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1137694733.510296.253730 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

The thermostat has stuck open and is preventing the engine from warming up properly.

Reply to
Stu

Wouldn't that make the needle stay on cold permanantly though?

Austin

Reply to
aust_powers

aust snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

No. If you're stationary, the engine can warm up despite the stuck thermostat, because no air is getting blown into the radiator. It cools down again when you set off because the thermostat cannot reduce the amount of water going through the radiator, so you get too much cooling.

Reply to
Stu

Ah makes sense, Just so happens I'm due a service so will mention it when I book it in, likely to cost much?

Austin

Reply to
aust_powers

do you like talking to your self?

Reply to
ford_technical_

aust snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Nah, less than £10 for the part and about 15 minutes job to fit one on most cars.

Reply to
Stu

Who are you replying to ?

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

The message from "Tony Bond \(UncleFista\)" contains these words:

And why?

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to