7.5 ton trucks

Reading the dvla booklet on licence information and comparing categories C1+E and D1+E and you will see what I think may be a misprint as one states a combined weight of 1200KG and the other a weight of 12000Kg given that most vans or mini buses must weigh at least 1200kg alone then i wonder if this means that on a car licence with a 7500kg vehicle we can tow up to

Reply to
Gary Millar

Yes they do. I sit in the cab and I can hear him tap tap tap all down one side and back up the other. I'm surprised he didn't ask you if you had a spanner to tighten your bolt. When I had a wheel nut which sounded (but wasn't) loose, the first thing he said was "have you got a wheel brace with you?" I got it out, checked it, he checked it, passed.

As I mentioned earlier, they allowed me to strip and clean the brake light switch and come back round. They weren't going to allow me to drive to the dealer on the same ind. est. though, if I hadn't fixed it I was going to have to walk.

As long as you're reasonable with them they're reasonable with you. They're not in the business of closing people down unnecessarily. That's not to say they'll let you get away with anything serious mind.

I remember the first truck (CommerDodge) I had some years ago, when I first bought it from an auction at a scrap yard that was closing down I had loads of work to do and only just about got it ready for appointment day. When he started the test the bulbs in the tacho head weren't working, and he said "if there's nothing else I'll let it go". Then he got underneath and discovered that the rear axle had three radials and a crossply. Oops

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

at least i cleaned it before hand :) it was axle thick in sand and balast a week before :)

we still had a week to go better to be safe than sorry

Reply to
dojj

The message from " dojj" contains these words:

That's down to your choice of test centre. Some places will tell you to jump out of the cab and tighten it up - others will fail you. I understand that officially they're not supposed to let you fix it.

I've always found that being pleasant to 'em and always being helpful and nice and taking booking slots they offer instead of whining about not being able to make it etc makes a big difference.

Reply to
Guy King

PRS is an official option as evidenced by the fact that the test sheet allows for three outcomes- pass, fail, PRS.

What can be rectified for PRS depends on things like what time of day it is, if it fails at 5 to 5 you're pretty much f****ed. At 5 past 2 on the other hand, no problem. ( I always try for an appointment just after lunch) Good relations between you and the tester will also help. I don't know if there is a list of things which are or are not allowed to prs, but at my local station a sign says No brake adjusting allowed, presumably because this would mean doing the brake testing again, but I have for instance seen someone being allowed to adjust a headlamp alignment. The testers seem to have some discretion.

Steve.

Reply to
shazzbat

there are some basic rules, for instance, you are not allowed to tilt a cab, unless you have permission from one of the senior examiners, (the ones in the white coats). You are also not allowed to carry out any work on the brakes on site, as the official line is that all brake repairs must be done in a suitable workshop to ensure the repairs are carried out properly.

Reply to
SimonJ

If the truck does not need a speed limiter, you are not required to have the seals on the cable, however you must still have all the seals intact inside the tachograph head, it must have been calibrated, and the calibration stickers must be intact. (there is no 2 yearly and 6 yearly inspection requirement, as long as it has been calibrated at some time, and the internal seals are still intact.)

Reply to
SimonJ

A fair test then. The MOT test is not the place to start doing repairs.

Reply to
Conor

Does your licence have category E on it? Somehow I doubt it. I had to take an artic test to get Category E on my licence.

Reply to
Conor

It should be 12,000kg in both cases.

See.....

SimonJ

in the booklet category *+E seems to mean *with a trailer

Reply to
Gary Millar

Its the weight of the trailer thats the important bit. An artic is a unit with trailer.

Reply to
Conor

which was fair enough i didn't have the tools to tighten it up anyway, but it was a 30 second job and i could have popped home and done it and popped it back for him to test again but it was a good few years back and i was a "novice" at these sorts of things :)

Reply to
dojj

yep but C1 is a lorry between 3500 and 7500kg i think your artic is cat C

Reply to
Gary Millar

Nope..Cat C covers the front bit. The back bit is Cat E.

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
Gary Millar

The gross train weight shown on the vehicles plating certificate. Max

8250.
Reply to
Conor

Please re-read that sentence, one of your 'afters' should be a before!

If you passed your car test before 1/1/97, then you are given 'grandfather rights' to drive a vehicle trailer combination up to 8750kg. If you passed after that date, you must have actually taken a C1+E test, which gives you the full 12,000kg allownace.

You are allowed to drive a vehicle trailer combination where sum of the MAM's of both vehicles is no greater than 8750kg.

For example, you can drive a truck with a MAM of 7,500kg, towing a trailer with a MAM of 750kg. The train weight shown on the ministry plate of the towing vehicle is irrelevant for licensing purposes, eg the train weight of a 7.5 tonne truck could be 10,000kg, this is greater than the 8,750kg allownace on your license, but as long as the trailer you are towing has a MAM of 750kg or less, you can legally drive it.

(MAM= Maximum authorised Mass, shown on the ministry plate as gross weight.)

Reply to
SimonJ

Reply to
Gary Millar

The message from "Gary Millar" contains these words:

Towing with minibuses is fraught with problems anyway! Most 17 seat minibuses are really close to their GVW when full - so there's not a lot of train weight left. Add to that the problems of ensuring two exits if the trailer's blocking the rear doors and so on.

Reply to
Guy King