94 BMW 316 cutting intermittently

My 94 BMW 316i is experiencing the following intermittent fault: At normal running temp, when I stop the engine after a shortish journey and leave the car for a short period the engine will restart but cuts out immediately, if I keep the revs up the engine will run ok again in a few minutes. The problem is very intermittent, it happened 3 times yesterday but this was the first time in a couple of weeks, and did not recur this morning. I've had a mechanic look at it but he cannot isolate the fault, any suggestions before I start replcaing parts would be most appreciated.

Reply to
cian_b

My bet is the "Main" relay. (Can't recall real name for it - lemme know here if you need more info). Easy to change, doesn't cost much - get a BMW one.

Reply to
dave

Cheers Dave, excuse my mechanical ignorance but what is the main relay?

Reply to
cian_b