Renault 5 Automatic

Just wondering if anyone remembers the Automatic transmission fitted to the Mk 1 Renault 5?!

I have a 1981 1.4 R5 Auto with approx 48k on the clock. When cold, selecting 'drive' gives only 3rd (top) gear. Selecting '2' gives more power, which does feel like second but it doesn't 'clunk' like its changing gear (?). Selecting '1' has the same effect as '2'.

But then...after approx 30 mins (sometimes less) of driving it springs into life and works perfectly!

My first thought was the oil but an oil change hasn't helped. Unless these boxes are fussy about having only the prescribed Renaultmatic? Or could it be the solenoids?

Any thoughts would be great cos its a suprisingly good car to drive and a bit of a family heirloom!

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
the_harrison