'94 CLIO in Garage

Hi this is my first MOT and the car failed on two points. my fuel pipe was a bit lealy and also my seatbelt anchorage was corroded, two garages quoted about =A3100 but I took the car to the one which could take my car soonest, they charged =A340 to assess the car but i didnt think that too bad as they had quoted =A3100 initially, then on a phone call this morning 'because they had to take the seat out' - =A3200 and then later that morning said that the final price with VAT was =A3230. All they did on the fuel hose was to cut off the dodgy end and reattach

- is this ok or should i ask for the whole pipe to be replaced? and how much does welding usually cost? I'm such a noob :(

Reply to
manouevres

Hi this is my first MOT and the car failed on two points. my fuel pipe was a bit lealy and also my seatbelt anchorage was corroded, two garages quoted about =A3100 but I took the car to the one which could take my car soonest, they charged =A340 to assess the car but i didnt think that too bad as they had quoted =A3100 initially, then on a phone call this morning 'because they had to take the seat out' - =A3200 and then later that morning said that the final price with VAT was =A3230. All they did on the fuel hose was to cut off the dodgy end and reattach

- is this ok or should i ask for the whole pipe to be replaced? and how much does welding usually cost? I'm such a noob :(

Reply to
manouevres

In article , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

From my recent experiences with garages its quite easy to knock up a bill of that amount for very simple things like you describe....

Reply to
tony sayer

Problem with welding is a quote is pretty much a slightly educated guess.... If the welding was done properly, the rust will have been ground back to good metal, until that is done it is unknown how big the hole will be.

Reply to
Tim Anderson

For that price, I'd want the lot replacing.

It doesn't cost =A3100 to take a seat out. At most it's four bolts and a=20 connector.

As for welding, it's a job that's usually billed per hour.

--=20 Conor Sig under construction. Please check back when Duke Nukem Forever ships=20 and/or Windows Vista is released.

Cashback on online purchases:

Conor

- is this ok or should i ask for the whole pipe to be replaced? and how much does welding usually cost? I'm such a noob :(

i take it was the front lower seat belt anchorage, did they yellow chalk it for you to see? as the clios, ( on the ones i have done) , tend to rot lower outer body sill, normaly about an hours labour roughy £40, not sure why they had to take the seat out though, unless it was a seat mounting that had corroded & from memory the seat belt stalk is bolted to the seat, thus making the whole thing including the seat, part of the seat belt !

Reply to
reg

"reg" wrote in news:e90p5q$594$ snipped-for-privacy@emma.aioe.org:

If it was a seat mounting, don't you have to lift the carpets out the way too when welding?

Reply to
Tunku