Chrome in a can

Has anyone tried those aerosol cans of chrome? Does the finished result bear any resemblance to real chrome? I have an irreplaceable headlamp on a classic car the reflector of which has gone sort of yellowish. It's not actually corrosion as such, so (in view of the fact they're unobtainium for this model) a can solution would be valuable escape route for me. Anyone know?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

This suggests not.

But works as a quick MOT fix. Usually the can says don't over spray or lacquer.
Do a google for headlamp resilvering.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Thanks, Peter. I guess I could always go with my first idea: aluminium foil, shiny-side up. That's the equal of chrome for reflectability so far as my tests have shown. Cut the foil into strips and apply around the inner shell over the affected areas. Natch I'll try your search term suggestion first, though.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You can also get self adhesive tape made of slightly thicker aluminium for weatherproofing. You might find that easier to apply. You won't achieve much of a "beam" because you won't mimic the reflector geometry, but it might be reflective enough to fool an MOT inspector or show judge.

Reply to
newshound

Not polished chrome, no. More akin to brushed chrome.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is the reflector metal? If so, should be possible to get it replated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's unlikely the original finish was chrome plating; much more likely to be silver plating. There are restorers who will re-plate them for you. Such a process will make them like new, and many times better than anything you attempt to spray on them.

It's possible that if you attempt to do anything to them yourself, you will make it difficult or impossible to subsequently get the job done properly at a later date.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

+1, this is really the proper solution.

Should be safe enough with a steel reflector.

I did hear a sad story many years ago of someone having a vintage bike control lever replated. The platers carefully checked that one of the parts was an alloy compatible with their baths. Unfortunately, the two parts turned out to be different alloys. Both went in, only one came out.

Reply to
newshound

I absolutely agree with your whole post. I can put you in contact with a re-silverer in the Ely area if you need one.

Reply to
Davey

It's a problem with the SD1. Later cars have plastic reflectors 'chrome' plated. Seems to be near impossible to get this replaced. And even NOS units can be showing signs of deterioration.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what I thought, but this particular outfit I contacted and sent a photo of it to told me it was not possible - didn't give a reason, though. I'm not convinced that answer is definitive so enquiries continue. :-(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You surprise me if this is the case, since actual silver is prone to tarnishing through oxidation IIRC. Areas where the 'chroming' is undamaged show no sign of any dulling.

Yes, that's a concern of mine.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's a repair precess known as re-silvering that I've been aware of for perhaps 40 years, so no surprise to me!

Here's one such provider, plucked at random from a Google search:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ooer "and can advise customers on how to safely remove the lenses and filaments in order for us to process the reflectors effectively"

So you with ZERO experience and practice have to take the risk of wrecking them before they will re=plate them.

Better get some junk ones with glass lens of any unwanted POS in the junk yard and practice getting the lens off without cracking or chipping it.

Full service - may cost a bit more but they have removed the glass from

100's of lamps. Triple plated.

" We offer a complete head lamp re-silvering service and we can restore all type of head lamps even sealed beam units!

We remove and re-place glasses, lamp holders and deflectors where fitted. We use a traditional method of coating Sterling Silver onto a copper Nickel base which gives a very highly reflective finish. "

Reply to
Peter Hill

The process is often still called "silvering" from when that was the material used for plating mirrors (by chemical deposition). But it was overtaken by vacuum deposition of aluminium replaced for optical telescopes before I was born; and aluminium was certainly used on production Fords in the 60s. I know that at least some vintage cars before that used silver. I don't know if some cars used chrome but IIRC its reflectivity is not as good; and it can't be applied by vacuum deposition.

Reply to
Robin
[...]

You did see that I had written 'plucked at random from a Google search'?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

And I'm just pointing out that the level of service you get can be very different.

Reply to
Peter Hill

If they break it when trying to take it apart do they repair it or provide a replacement at their cost? Or is it a matter of negotiation/arbitration/litigation?

Reply to
Robin

What is used with mirrors?

Reply to