A good service

What, in general, should a good 12,000 mile standard service consist of? As an example, take my car - a 1995 Rover 214SEi.

Many Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul

It depends whether it is a 12000 mile service or a higher mileage service. I doubt your Rover has 12000 miles on it.

Reply to
Matt

Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@katpawmynuts.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If we assume 6,000 miles to be oil, filter, a good once-over - including front pads and disks and lubricate hinges/catches etc - then add plugs and a check of rear shoes for a 12,000.

Every other 12,000, add air and fuel filters and gearbox oil. Every couple of years, do the coolant and brake fluid.

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry, gearbox oil? I don't actually recall any of my manuals saying gearbox oil should be changed (checked yes but not changed) let alone every 12k. Other than that I agree.

Reply to
malc

malc ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Apart from the fact I said "every other 12k" - ie every 24k - It's usually as easy to change it as check it - and it's not exactly expensive for a litre or whatever of 'box oil.

Reply to
Adrian

Except for those modern-ish cars that don't even have a filler plug on the gearbox.

Reply to
asahartz

asahartz ( snipped-for-privacy@hotMEATPIEmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

We were talking specifically about an Origami-shape Rover 200.

Reply to
Adrian

Ok I missed the every other, but then fuel and air filters should be every

12k not 24k to be picky ;-)
Reply to
malc

No it's got 40,000 on it, but of course I meant the 12 monthly or every

12,000 miles service.
Reply to
Paul

What does it say in the service book?

I would follow that but do the oil & filter a bit more often (6 months/

6,000) and keep a good eye on the coolant level.

Alan

Reply to
Alan