A little bit of friendly advice

I do a web site for an open cast mining / regeneration scheme and when on site I have to wear one of these high visibility yellow jackets. Normally I keep it in the boot but since I got my car MOTd during the week and managed to salvage one of my tyres, that has been in the boot and the jacket on the back seat. During the night, some drunk reveller must have either thought I was an undercover policman (in a N reg paint scraped Escort) or a 4XL yellow jacket, the intruder being slim obvioulsy didn't like it. Tried to get ionto my boot via the back seat but was blocked by the spare spare tyre. Hom hum, nothing else was touched, not even my new(ish) Blaupunkt CD stereo). So, tip for Christmas, keep yellow safety jackets out of site. Big Craigie....ever so slightly miffed but covered by insurance

Reply to
Big Craigie

The message from "Big Craigie" contains these words:

They have their uses though. Some years ago I was following my wife through Hounslow when some berk drove into the back of her at a some traffic lights. She's stopped quite reasonably for an amber light but he'd been expecting her to go. The front of his Metro was trashed, the rear of her Maestro was untouched. It was piddling down with rain, and I was behind the Metro so I put on my vis jacket and went to investigate. By this time the bloke was standing by the wife's car shouting at her that she shouldn't stop for amber and that red meant stop etc.

I politely asked what the problem was and he looked round, saw me looking a lot like a policeman (I was wearing a black tie and blue shirt at the time and hadn't done up the jacket) and he just apologised and drove off. It was only later I realised he'd probably thought I was a dibble.

Reply to
Guy King

My dad used to have a big Honda ST1100 pan european motorbike in silver. He used to wear black leathers and a Hi-vis jacket. He said it was great because all the car drivers used to get out of the way for him as they saw the behemoth in their rear view mirror and assumed it was a police bike!

Reply to
loony

I agree about their uses, I've been wearing mine back from site and drivers attitudes change towards you (for the better) when they see the jackets. The thing is, they are as cheap as chips.

BC

Reply to
Big Craigie

They're quite effective if you want to hurry past customs at airports too. Ahem ... alledgedly.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I once saw a guy on a moped with a hi-vis jacket with the word "POLITE" on the back. It had the square edge pattern and everything. I wonder how far you can go before you'd get done for impersonating a police officer.

Reply to
loony

The message from "loony" contains these words:

Aparently they draw the line at wearing a peaked hat and standing by the side of your road pointing a hairdryer at rat-runnning motorists. Though the court threw it out, IIRC.

Reply to
Guy King

*cough*bullshit*cough*

Urban legend, that one.

Reply to
SteveH

And how much later was it before you realised that he hadn't exchanged details?

Reply to
SimonJ

Speaking of urban legends and going totally off topic. I heard the one where some middle eastern chappie drops his purse and when handed it back passes on a warning not to visit (in this case) Bristol Mall where there was a bomb scare last week. I hadn't heard that one for a year or so.

Reply to
Malc

The message from "SimonJ" contains these words:

I didn't give a stuff about the details - the wife's car was an elderly Maestro with a tow bar - even if the tail end were damaged neither she nor I could give a hoot.

Reply to
Guy King

This sort of thing is really funny when the guy behind you *thinks* that you

*think* he is the police and you *know* he isn't. :-)
Reply to
dave

Cripes. Exact same thing in Meadowhall too.

OTOH, one of my uni lecturers was a bobby at some point, and there *are* body bags in there in case of terroristismism.

Reply to
Doki

We had that. Apparently it actually happened to someone at where my wife works. I bet it turns out to be a FOAF instead.

It was the big one in Manchester (whose name I forget, but it has *2* Shere Kahn restaurants, on 2 floors!)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Funnily enough, Trafford Centre too.

Wonder if it'll be Merry Hill next?

Reply to
SimonJ

What is great fun is owning said yellow jackets, and driving a white Rover P6 3500S.

The mixture of signals sends drivers of a certain age into a frenzy of paranoia.

Locals have taken to leaving the jackets in windows/in cars, so you catch a glimpse as you take a corner and slow down. Well, they think you will; in fact, if it is NSL, and I can see their driveway is clear of cars, NSL is what I will do - yellow jacket or not.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

F*ckin Old Arthritic Fool? Fine Orange Albanian Fryup?

ITWSBT

Reply to
Malc

Friend of a friend.

HTH HAND

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Ages back I thought HAND meant "Hang up 'n die", before I googled and found it to be something rather more polite!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Have A 'Nother Doughnut.

Reply to
Guy King