A question on Current Voltage regulators.

Hi All I need to replace the Current Voltage Regulator on my 1964 Daimler V8.

The Regulator is a 25 Amp Lucas RB340 I have located a new ?old stock? unit but on the side of the cover is a label with the wording 25AMP (-) I presume the (-) refers to the unit being negative earth, this is unfortunate as my car is positive earth.

I believe the polarity of these can be changed - does anyone know how to change the unit to Positive earth?

Is there any way of checking the polarity of these units?

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks David.

Reply to
David Oneill

I can't see why one of these control units would be polarity sensitive - they're purely mechanical.

Holden sell them, and make no mention of polarity.

I suppose it's possible the very latest versions used diodes to extend contact life, but these should be visible if you look inside. Turning them round would be the only modification needed.

It would, of course, be possible to make a truly electronic control unit for a dynamo as they do for alternators. But I've not heard of a commercial version.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I unfortunately cannot remember the exact procedure to do this , hopefully someone can remember. The only thing that determines the polarity of these units is the residual magnetism held in the solenoids inside the units. In order to reverse the polarity , it is neccesary to power one of the pins on the unit up to the desired polarity which will remagnetise the solenoid core in the desired direction , unfortunately I cannot remember exactly how (I did this several times many years ago) Regards Mike

Reply to
Mike

I've altered many dynamo equipped cars from positive to negative earth, and never had a problem with the regulator. Surely any residual magnetism in a solenoid would be tiny - otherwise it wouldn't release?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I think you might be mixing it up with the (quite easy) procedure for changing the whole car from positive to negative earth by reversing the dynamo field polarity (and also reversing the battery connections of course).

Reply to
Peter Parry