A VW Saga

Hello,

I bought a new 1600 VW Golf SE in the summer of 2001 from a main dealer in Glasgow. After approx 16000 miles, on the M74 on the way to my wedding, the engine decided to pack up - completely. The error message was "Emission workshop" and the yellow engine light came on.

The car was duly towed to Dumfries, where the diagnosis was that constant misfiring had eventually caused the number 1 piston to deteriorate to the point of failure. At the speed I was travelling (motorway speeds), the damage was devastating. The main dealer there replaced the short block while we were away on honeymoon. Unfortunately when they replaced the unit, they did not set the engine mounting gaps correctly and sliced into a number of cooling system hoses.

About half a dozen trips to my local dealer in Glasgow and the problems were sorted. Or was it? Just this morning on my way to work, the same "Emissions workshop" error message and the yellow engine light came on. The car felt like it was running on three cylinders and I managed to park the car up close to the train station. I guess the lower speed meant that the engine didn't do itself as much damage as before.

It has been more than a year since the first engine replacement, and more than three years since I bought the car. Where do I stand? Do I have any comeback against VW? I feel that there was something obviously wrong with the car when it left the factory - and obviously the repair done after the first breakdown did not solve the problem.

This was the first car I had bought new, and I went for a VW because I intended to keep it for a long time. Certainly longer than three years!

Best regards

Neil

Reply to
neilo40

Is this the notorious ignition-coil-pack-failure-thingy anyone?

Reply to
DocDelete

Just got off the phone from the dealer. He seemed to think so. I'm going to take it in anyway and see what they say. Then take it from there...

Neil

Reply to
neilo40

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Why /do/ people do this? ;-)

Reply to
Guy King

For the peace of mind :-) I certainly won't be doing it again, that's for sure...

Reply to
neilo40

I bought new because my rottweiler wife managed to negotiate it to cheaper than the one year old models on the forecourt that we were originally looking at! We run one newish car and one oldie (currently an excellent Citroen ZX)

Reply to
Doctor D

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Surprising how many people say that. Second hand cars have had the bugs worked out of 'em - by the time they're as old as my usual old bangers there's not usually a lot left to go wrong.

Reply to
Guy King

hehe, I know that *now* First (and last) new car I've bought. My other car's a '73 beetle...

Reply to
neilo40

The message from "Doctor D" contains these words:

D'yer know - I might still prefer one that's a year old. New cars break too often.

Reply to
Guy King

What's worse is that the OP bought a VW for it's reliability....

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Ah, but he knows better now.

All he's got to do now is understand that Carlsberg prbably /isn't/ the best lager in the world and that Intel and their infuriation jingle no longer make the best processors.

Adverts - don't you love 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

Know what you mean.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Whatever credibility I have left will be long gone when I tell you that I'm a designer at intel then...

I know what you mean about the processors though ;-)

Any recommendations for a replacement then? Needs to be big enough for a pram, baby and 2 adults. Was considering a 12 - 18 month old mazda 6...

Neil

Reply to
neil

Alfa 156 Sportwagon JTD.

Reply to
SteveH

yep :) preferably a 2.4 multijet wicked wicked car

Reply to
Spark

I would have thought the 6 a good choice. Friends have just bought one from a broker, good a good deal on a nice car. I have a soft spot for the Mondeo though. Pick up a 53/04 plate model for less than £10k, all the bells and whistles, and a lovely drive. Not heard too many sad stories, anyone else?

Ran a TDCi 130 for 6 months and 32,000 miles, no problems at all and loved every moment with it.

Reply to
Doctor D

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (neil) contains these words:

There's a nice Montego TD estate on eBay at the moment. Yours for under £500. 55mpg, cheap to run - comfortable and reliable.

Reply to
Guy King

Had one of those too. Covered 55,000 miles in 18 months and needed a new turbo, short engine and rust remediation. One that has survived this long will probably last forever with enough patches! At least it's not one of the abominable 1.3 petrol ones they sold at launch.

Reply to
Doctor D

The message from "Doctor D" contains these words:

Grief - what did you /do/ to it? Mine's at 170k though there's a few bits of rust. Head gasket went - but that's hardly a sin these days.

Reply to
Guy King

"My" Rover dealer at the time told me that they had never seen a Monty with so many problems. The boss mechanic at Welsh Water who ran a fleet of Perkins Maestro vans and some Monties told me he had quite a few with short engine problems due to some poor construction of oilways in the block? Mine died at about 90mph on the M4 (in the days when you could do 90 without too much fear of Plod!) It seems hard driven motorway ones were more prone (ahem, I was younger then.)

Welsh Water also had a number of 1992 vintage with faulty oil seals in the turbo - a dodgy batch perhaps. The rust was not pleasing. Perforation corrosion in the welds at the top of the "A" pillars within 18 months!

What was quite amusing was that the lease company (British Car Contracts - partly owned by Rover) bought extended warranties on all Maestros and Monties!

I have two friends still running these beasties both at over 200,000 miles, so as I said, any that are still going should be reliable!

Reply to
Doctor D