Ah, the joys of rear drum handbrakes...

usually caused by brake fluid leaking from the cylinder and that rusts the shoes to the drum, usually plenty of prior warning though. just drive it out with that one locked up, throw a bucket of sand down for it to slide on, or water. give the drum a good whack, strip and replace as needed.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That's a new one on me. Had countless old bangers years ago which leaked brake fluid at one time or another from a cylinder and never had it cause the drum to rust - or a shoe to seize.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have seen it dozens of times, the first warning sign is when you release the handbrake, start to pull away and get a clunk as it releases, that is the time to strip and rebuild it if you don't spot it when servicing (or don't service) The reason it rusts the shoes on so well is the hygroscopic side of brake fluid coupled with our lovely damp atmosphere.

They literally rust up and stick overnight.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Well, that wasn't what I expected...

Hub nut off fairly easily, drum off with a bit of persuasion - but not too bad.

The shoes & cylinder all look fine. A bit grubby, sure, and nobody's been in there for _ages_, but all intact, plenty of meat on the shoes, and the adjuster's working. A little bit of a lip on the drum, but not that bad.

Shame the wheel bearing remained on the stub axle. Well, most of it did, anyway. A very, very mullered looking seal plus the inner race on the stub, the rest still in the drum. Hmmm. Me no likey...

Reply to
Adrian

the stub may unbolt easily (I can't remember), it is then simpler to immerse it all in penetrating oil, heat it up and get a thin chisel in behind the bearing. Doesn't explain the stuck handbrake, or was it a stiff cable?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That was the easy bit - the bearing just more or less slid straight off.

Don't think so, but I've got a pair in the GSF basket anyway - fuckit, I don't want to have the drums off any more often than I have to, and she's paying for the bits...

The basket's already more than the car's purchase price...

Reply to
Adrian

Doesn't take many bits to do that on a old car these days, even at GSF prices. Still, better it has decent brakes & wheel bearings, eh?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I work on the principle that if I can't afford to have a car maintained properly I can't afford a car.

Reply to
Gordon H

Which is, of course, the correct priciple.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Chris Bartram gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Couldn't agree more.

And don't even ask about the basket I've got on the ECAS site.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

I'll just add that I used to do a few jobs myself, but no longer have the energy, patience or skills. I still find this a useful group to read.

Reply to
Gordon H

Gordon H gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I've spent the last few years DIYing over at a mate's pro workshop - it's amazing how quickly you get used to ramps, air, welding gear, bench grinders, a parts store just through there etc etc.

Except the bugger's gone and retired to the sun. Inconsiderate, eh?

I'm saying "soddit", and regarding the odd hour or three that he used to charge me for labour here and there when I dragged him in to help - or just got bored and threw it at him - as "tool money". No scrimping and scratching. If I need something (within reason), I'm buying it. Keeping stocks of nuts & bolts & fasteners & filters & fluids etc.

Oh, for a big indoor space with a ramp, though...

Reply to
Adrian

A long held-dream. About the only thing I don't like about my house is that I only have a short driveway, with only enough space for our 2 cars.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I had to google that....

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That would be untold luxury round here. ;-) It's only really corner houses that have off street parking - if they're happy losing some of their (small) garden.

My brother has a 6 car garage with a 20 metre driveway - two cars wide. And still can't get his main car into the garage overnight. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris Bartram gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That'd be an improvement...

We've got one (short) car space in front of the garage, one next to the garage (but needs serious manouvering to access) and a single garage (wooden, knackered) at the house. No power to the garage unless I string an extension lead from the house. No water or drain.

There's on-street parking, but with a maximum of two resident permits (with registrations) per house. And it's a fairly steep hill.

Reply to
Adrian