aircon stalls Astra H 1800

My wifey's Astra H has Z18XER (petrol) motor and auto tranny. Now if engine is idling, the aircon compressor coming on will stall the engine. I had an old car doing this and it was the
idle air control. But the Z18XER has electric throttle. I have checked wiring harness and cannot see any damage or loose plugs. Any ideas what might cause this?

Have you checked the compressor rotates when the aircon is turned on?
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 8:12:24 PM UTC+8, Fredxx wrote:

yes it is rotating (when the engine is over 1000 RPM) and cooling and not making any funny noises

Check for inlet side air leaks (spray around carb cleaner with the engine idling), any change in engine speed may guide you to the leak.

My Astra F did that, after I hadn't used the air-con for 3 years. The engine almost stalled, there was a noticible metallic crack from under the bonnet and the engine ran normally but the air con never worked from then on, nor did the engine note change when aircon was switched on. I suspect the compressor was seized and some thing broke in the magnetic clutch.

Site Timeline