Aldi Welder

Does one need to wear a heat resistant box too??

Reply to
adder1969

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk contains these words:

Never had that trouble, but have seen the overalls that someone was wearing when a faglighter went up.

Reply to
Guy King

Stick welder or MIG? For a stick welder it's not unusually cheap, but you won't get very far trying to do car bodies with it. It's about £100 too cheap for a MIG, so I'd be very wary. The quality of the trigger and feed mechanisms varies greatly on even name-brand MIGs. If you really want a MIG, have a look at

- they just happen to be local to me, but their prices are competitive, they sell good gear and the guy knows what he's talking about. The SIP Migmate 130 is generally regarded as a decent hobby-level MIG. It certainly outperforms my old Clarke.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Used to get that when I shot .22 pistols - get a cartridge case stuck in your watchband and you knew about it.

Reply to
PC Paul

Since this is a car group - pretty useless. For most car stuff you need a MIG or better. The Aldi one might be ok for garden gate repair.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's worth noting it isn't supplied with a 13 amp plug so probably needs a larger mains supply at full belt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Someone in another group has bought one, and yes, it reckons that for full current you need to connect it to a 30A supply.

Reply to
Guy King

If the duty cycle is reasonable it sounds like good value for agricultural repairs, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's presumably peak current , in which case t'll be fine on a 13A plug. If it can sustain that then it's an utter bargain & I want one.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks for the warning. That could be a bit of a pain. Part of the appeal was the fact that it seemed a lot more portable than my MIG. But if I can't just pop it in the car to repair the odd gate at my mum's place, it's a lot less useful to me.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It'll overheat before the fuse goes, 13A will be fine.

Reply to
Duncan Wood